Keto home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Moore

Reaction score
So I was on keto for a while and it was great
The wife and i dropped off the diet for unknown reasons.

I bought a brew kit and love it.

Now are decided to go back on the diet for the foreseeable future

My question is, are there legit carb free brew methods or kits other there?

I love beer and thats the 1st thing that will need to go for keto sadly..

yes absolutely. I' ve been doing keto for a year now and brewing mainly brut IPAs. There are several threads in here where these are discussed but they get into range of 3-4 grams of carbs per 12 ounce pour.

Yep, use ultra-ferm to reduce carbs and clarity-ferm to gluten reduce. Then it fits the whole keto/paleo lifestyle.

I think what eric19312 says is key. I dont know that you will find a truly zero carb beer recipe as carbs are inherent to the process , you will just have to limit your beer (and thus carb) intake and account for the carbs in your macros.

Any ultra-dry beer will be keto friendly. You can get there by adding glucoamylase to your fermentor or by using a diastaticus yeast which breaks down maltose on it's own.

Edit: I've also heard that Beano in the fermentor has worked for some people...

Any ultra-dry beer will be keto friendly. You can get there by adding glucoamylase to your fermentor or by using a diastaticus yeast which breaks down maltose on it's own.

Edit: I've also heard that Beano in the fermentor has worked for some people...
i assume the beano method is here as well?

I found the "brewers best Brut IPA" kit online and it has the glucoamylase in it as well

i assume the beano method is here as well?

I found the "brewers best Brut IPA" kit online and it has the glucoamylase in it as well
If you search 'beano' here, you will get 10 pages of results. In my head, it seems that Beano should work fine. It certainly destroys carbs but it seems like most of the people who try it have disliked the results.

Glucoamylase will also destroy the molecules that give body to the beer, but in a Brut, that is expected. Your body comes from extra carbonation. Diastaticus yeasts are often heavy glycerin producers also, which would add back some of the lost body. Every approach has it's pros and cons. It's just a matter of figuring out what works best for you. Hopefully you enjoy your experiments!

How different is a full grain brew vs grain/extract?

I have been doing the brewers best kits which is both grain and extract(at least the ones ive used)

It's not much different with this beer, if you hit the same IBU using a similar hop schedule and your extract is fresh. Emphasis on fresh.

You can achieve a lighter color with all grain and full boils. People will tell you can get a better malt flavor with all grain. Which is very true. Especially if the base malt is Munich, Vienna, Maris Otter or Golden Promise.

All grain tends to make fresher cleaner tasting beers. If your malt extract is old is gets a weird flavor. People call it extract twang. You will never get that with all grain.

Regardless with a light beer at 1.030 those flavors are muted when the final gravity is 1.000 using amylase enzyme.

Any other beer I wouldn't normally tell you this. Especially when I think of flavor profile of Miller Lite or Bud Light. You can make good extract beers with steeped grains if you are careful about your process. That's requires; good tasting water, fresh ingredients, late hop additions, pitch the enough yeast and rack carefully along the way and drink while fresh.

I'm a low oxygen brewer. Anybody who makes the leap to low oxygen will down play the quality of beer that's not low oxygen. Much less anything made of extract. When I started brewing I started with Mr Beer. Then stepped up to 5 gallon extract steeped with grains, then to partial mash, then to all grain. I was at all grain with a plastic cooler for 12 years before adopting low oxygen. Every step of the way was an improvement.

The flavor you get from low oxygen brewing is a malt flavor nuance you detect once you start with low oxygen techniques. Specifically with this beer style it can make a big difference. That difference is what it tastes like at two weeks old vs two months old. Some people will deny this. If you make the beer and taste it along the way you will see a flavor change over time. Not necessary bad just different.

How different is a full grain brew vs grain/extract?

I have been doing the brewers best kits which is both grain and extract(at least the ones ive used)

I think brewing with extract you may be more dependent on enzymes to get a really low final gravity. Extract wort fermentability is pretty much dialed in by the maker, you don’t have option to mash low for more fermentable wort.

I made that recipe with the BSG beta glucanase and came out good and attenuated all the way down. Im still more into IPAs and that’s all my wife likes so I went back to the brut IPAs after trying it. But from a dieting perspective that “Miller lite” recipe is much lower calories and Ketosis or no Ketosis fewer empty calories isn’t going to be a bad thing if your goal is to lose weight.

I've been brewing and experimenting with brut brews over the course of 2019. What most people said above: Brut IPAs are absolutely great, in fact I can make the case that a Brut IPA is a much much better expression of the hops than a "standard" one as you get no malt character: it's all about the yeast and the hops. A few, tips if you allow me from my experience:
1. add the enzyme when you pitch yeast, i've had the best experience in this way. adding in the mash didn't work as well for me
2. try playing with different yeasts: so far my best beer was a brut belgian IPA with ardeness. The yeast provides additional flavor and it's awesome actually
3. don't limit yourself to IPAs only. a brut vienna lager i brewed is something i have all the time on tap on my 4 tap keezer now. low alc, no carb, it's a easy sessionable beer for every ocassion

cheers!

I've been brewing and experimenting with brut brews over the course of 2019. What most people said above: Brut IPAs are absolutely great, in fact I can make the case that a Brut IPA is a much much better expression of the hops than a "standard" one as you get no malt character: it's all about the yeast and the hops. A few, tips if you allow me from my experience:
1. add the enzyme when you pitch yeast, i've had the best experience in this way. adding in the mash didn't work as well for me
2. try playing with different yeasts: so far my best beer was a brut belgian IPA with ardeness. The yeast provides additional flavor and it's awesome actually
3. don't limit yourself to IPAs only. a brut vienna lager i brewed is something i have all the time on tap on my 4 tap keezer now. low alc, no carb, it's a easy sessionable beer for every ocassion

cheers!

On point 1. I've had best luck adding the enzyme into the kettle once I chill below 130F. I chill with an immersion chiller and pump the wort while chilling. Adding during the chilling process assures the enzyme is well mixed with the wort and I believe it is even more active at the warmer temperatures (90-130F) than at ale fermentation temperatures.

On point 2. All of mine have been with US-05 but I am going to try horinidal kveik next.

On point 1. I've had best luck adding the enzyme into the kettle once I chill below 130F. I chill with an immersion chiller and pump the wort while chilling. Adding during the chilling process assures the enzyme is well mixed with the wort and I believe it is even more active at the warmer temperatures (90-130F) than at ale fermentation temperatures.
It's absolutely possible. I chill with a plate chiller so for me it won't make a difference, but I guess there are more than one way to reach 0 gravity :)

Back