Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfoxall

Reaction score
Hat are the advantages to using a ball lock keg over a pin lock ? I have never put beer in a keg but it seems everyone wants the ball locks ?

I have access to ball lock 1/6 barrels all day for 30 dollars each. That's the deposit for them in Texas right now. But I am not sure how to fill them. Can you help me with that ?

shawnfoxall said:
I have access to ball lock 1/6 barrels all day for 30 dollars each. That's the deposit for them in Texas right now. But I am not sure how to fill them. Can you help me with that ?

Look for a video on YouTube on removing a sanke ring..basically a ring hold the center tube in...they make a special tool to remove but can be removed with a screwdriver

Pin are fatter and shorter...ball are tall and skinny so that make a difference depending on your kegerator/keezer size

I like pin lock because you know which end is gas and which is out can't make that mistake...ball locks use the same fittings so some times you can mix it up

I have all ball locks - I find the connections more secure and not prone to leaking like my pin locks were. YMMV

It's nice to have a standardized type of keg as well.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just confused on what to do I haven't put beer in a keg yet and I am wanting to brew a batch of pumpkin spice in a couple months and put it on draft for a party.

Are you talking about ball lock 1/6 bbl or sanke 1/6 bbl kegs? My guess is that you're talking about sanke kegs. These kegs have a single port in the center of the top. Ball lock corny kegs, the kind many homebrewers use, have two small posts, and a lid that can be removed.

Sanke kegs can be disassembled, but taking them and using them for your own while forfeiting the deposit is not necessarily legal.

I am actually talking about 1/6 bbls from a Budweiser distributor. Although I hate everything about the company I have access to get there kegs . But I have not clue how to fill them as of now.

Back