Kegs vs Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xben

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm currently buying equipment to build a keezer. I already purchase 4 kegs so far but I'm missing anything else (taps, tubing, etc).

I'm wondering how many taps I should get.. do you guys usually have 1 tap for each single keg or do you keep 1 or 2 spare kegs in case you run out of beer on 1-2 tap(s)? I would have room for the 4 kegs in my keezer.

Thanks!!:mug:

I have 5 taps and 6 kegs (I may buy another keg or two). I am planning on making a strong stout or porter and will let the beer age in one of the kegs in my beer closet until fall and I can still maintain 5 taps!

I think those are two different questions actually. How many taps should I have and how many kegs should I have. If you have room in your keezer for 4 kegs I would do at least 3 taps, depending on the rest of your situation. I fit 4 kegs, I have 4 taps. But i have a fermentation fridge I can use to get/keep kegs cold. I have 5 total kegs and I'm finding i'm about 2-3 short. here's my math: 1-2 kegs of beer ready for when a keg kicks, 1 for sanitizer, 1 for PBW (both are used for cleaning lines and closed transfers)... maybe 1 more empty just in case you get the urge to brew again.

Also have back up kegs of beer (especially if you can keep it cold or cool it quickly) gives you the change to swap out styles based on what you feel like or what guests like. I have a cider I really only put on tap when we have cider fans over for example.

Just my 2 cents.

LOL I own one keg, and one picnic tap. I've thought about buying one more keg because my wine fridge just barely has enough room, and it'd be nice to have variety. I haven't much desire for mounted bar taps. If it's cold and pours into a glass, I'm happy.

I think those are two different questions actually. How many taps should I have and how many kegs should I have. If you have room in your keezer for 4 kegs I would do at least 3 taps, depending on the rest of your situation. I fit 4 kegs, I have 4 taps. But i have a fermentation fridge I can use to get/keep kegs cold. I have 5 total kegs and I'm finding i'm about 2-3 short. here's my math: 1-2 kegs of beer ready for when a keg kicks, 1 for sanitizer, 1 for PBW (both are used for cleaning lines and closed transfers)... maybe 1 more empty just in case you get the urge to brew again.

Also have back up kegs of beer (especially if you can keep it cold or cool it quickly) gives you the change to swap out styles based on what you feel like or what guests like. I have a cider I really only put on tap when we have cider fans over for example.

Just my 2 cents.

This ^

Something else you can consider is starting with fewer but leaving room and planning for more later. I wanted to use Perlick 650 SS flow control faucets on my keezer, so I started with 3. But I planned for expansion, both in buying a drip tray wide enough to accommodate as many as 5, *and* I marked the collar where I would add the 4th and 5th faucets.

I laid out the spacing on the collar, using an awl to make a divot where I'd need to drill. I made tiny divots where the 4th and 5th would go if and when. You couldn't see them unless you knew where to look, and I could find them easily just using a ruler and extending the spacing from the other faucets.

BTW, drip trays are expensive, so don't space the faucets any wider than you need. Mine are spaced 3" apart on center, and with flow-control faucets I wouldn't go any closer together. If you don't use flow-control faucets you could go 2 1/2" apart. But whatever you do account for the black plastic trim pieces--2 1/2" is about the limit for narrowness of spacing.

I can get 6 kegs in my keezer, so 5 faucets seems like a reasonable number. I can keep an extra keg in there, or force carb a keg if I want. Lo and behold, as I brewed more beer, I needed a way to dispense it, so a 4th and eventually a 5th faucet ended up being added.

A friend of mine is adding faucets to his keezer; they should arrive today. His is a small keezer, he can only get 2 kegs in there, but he's going to use 2 faucets. He might be able to use a shorter keg on the hump, so I'm going to suggest he measure out and plan for 3 even though he's only installing two.

keezer3tapsmall.jpg

keezer5tapsmall.jpg

I currently have two kegerator/keezers with a total of 8 taps and 14 kegs to support them, so 1.75 kegs/tap. There are times when I feel that 14 isn't enough, but I usually can manage it all right.

I laid out the spacing on the collar, using an awl to make a divot where I'd need to drill. I made tiny divots where the 4th and 5th would go if and when. You couldn't see them unless you knew where to look, and I could find them easily just using a ruler and extending the spacing from the other faucets.

I actually did this too. I marked the spacing on all 4 while i had the level lined up but then I actually drilled the pilot hole through my fridge and just put a touch of caulk on both sides to seal it. Then I added taps as I got money/full kegs.

Currently my kegerator has two taps. But I have four kegs and gas hosing for each. So I try to have two carbing & conditioning on deck and drink from two that are ready. Works great. Someday I may add two more taps.

4 taps, 6 kegs, only room for 4 kegs in the keezer. Day to day 4 on tap is plenty, but with summer time and party season going strong it feels light. Will probably get 1 or 2 more kegs eventually

My Keezer holds 4 kegs. I started with 2 taps but added 2 more so I could have enough variety available for the varied tastes in my family. Like SGTSparty, I've also got a fridge for fermentation and for chilling extra kegs when needed. I started with four kegs and am now up to 8. That allows me to clean and sanitize at my leisure instead of having to rush when a keg kicks.

IMG_0115.jpg

I cant seem to keep 4 filled at a time so this works for me. You will never go back. sigh imgur hates me
7Uv5reJ.jpg

My keezer fits 3 kegs. I have gas outlets for 3 kegs at 2 pressures. My keezer has 2 taps. I own 8 kegs which I keep full pretty much all the time.

I have 4 kegs and 2 taps. I usually have 2 on tap and 2 in the pipeline aging... Especially this time of year brewing more lagers that need aging.

3 taps, space for 4 kegs with the 4th being at 30psi to force carbonate. My house ale, an IPA of some sort(I am the only one who likes an IPA so I brew 5 gallon versus 10 gallon batches for my house ale), and the third tap rotating between a stout, cider, Mead/Morat(mulberry mead)...

Back