Kegmenter Fermentation Keg - 7.6 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might have been better posted over in the equipment section.. Maybe a moderator can move it for me.

I don't use a 7.6 kegmenter but a kegco .5bbl brite tank. It's basically a 15.5 gallon corny keg. It was great for fermenting but has the same potential issues as a corny keg, such as poppets clogging in transfer. However the 4 inch port is nice when it comes to cleaning.
Now I have a conical so I rarely ferment in the brite tank anymore but it's still quite functional as a brite tank. If I had it to do over again(and I just may still) I would go with a .5bbl yeast brink with a racking arm in the lower port. Like this
https://www.abs-commercial.com/12-BBL-Keg-Yeast-Brink_p_2348.html

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
    IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 605
I have been thinking about keg-fermenting as well. I am thinking about using a commercial 1/6 keg so I have more head space. Also, the yeast would accumulate at the bottom and be easier to dump (than from a larger dia. keg). What I cannot find is, a fitting that will accommodate a "Ball" jar to dump yeast into. The fermenters that have those just seem so smart to me. Any thoughts on this approach?

Yup I got two,,the one in the picture is showing gas as a blow off,, I use one for pressure fermentation

Where’d you get that 4” TC cap with the gas/liquid posts and PRV if you don’t mind me asking.

Kegmenter.. Morebeer..as is..

Gotcha

If you could find someone to weld a 1.5” TC fitting onto the Spike conical cooling coil you could glycol chill one of these bad boys. Probably be the cheapest 1/2 bbl glycol cooled unitank you could possibly find.

I have been thinking about keg-fermenting as well. I am thinking about using a commercial 1/6 keg so I have more head space. Also, the yeast would accumulate at the bottom and be easier to dump (than from a larger dia. keg). What I cannot find is, a fitting that will accommodate a "Ball" jar to dump yeast into. The fermenters that have those just seem so smart to me. Any thoughts on this approach?
I am not a"Beer Troll". what is working for me harvesting yeast. You see the hose in transfer, towards the end of the transfer. The yeast and trub. will be picked up .. I am watching for this .You can see it in the hose, I will stop and change to a picnic tap and push that into half gallon ball jar .That jar is put into fridge .. when it's time to brew again. I will dump the top part out beer and trub.

IMG_20181124_132831.jpg
IMG_20181124_132831.jpg
. IMG_20181124_132831.jpg ball jar.

I am not a "Beer Troll", try this approach, brew beer, dump in your type keg, see what happens,,if you like it make small changes.I got the kegmenter because i can ferment and serve. My kegs are all ball lock. I could ferment in 5g corny, but you will not end up 5g. Yes the keg needs headspace for the phases of the ferment.it also needs to vent pressure ( blow off). I use a gas line to water bucket,,I have tried a gas line out of ferment keg to liquid inline of another keg ,that keg has spunding set to 20 psi, lots of ways to approach this ,'
"Stay Strong and Brew on"

Gotcha

If you could find someone to weld a 1.5” TC fitting onto the Spike conical cooling coil you could glycol chill one of these bad boys. Probably be the cheapest 1/2 bbl glycol cooled unitank you could possibly find.
I have stayed away from spike,it is not cheap to buy,I do like brewhardware,,bobby is great to work with and does great work on the kettles

Could you tell me the dimensions, it is not listed on the morebeer website.
It is 50 liters. Somewhere around 13.2 gallons,21 iinches tall,16 diameter,28lbs empty,130 lbs full weight,and yes it fits in the kegerator,,,once I fill it up with 10 gallons of brew its a little heavy for some to move

It is 50 liters. Somewhere around 13.2 gallons,21 iinches tall,16 diameter,28lbs empty,130 lbs full weight,and yes it fits in the kegerator,,,once I fill it up with 10 gallons of brew its a little heavy for some to move

I was thinking you had the smaller one, but thanks anyways. At least I know for sure the bigger one wont fit for sure.

I am wondering if the smaller one will fit in my 126 can tramotina beverage cooler.

The height of the 13gal one seem OK but the diameter is too big, I need to be like 11.5in to get the door to close.

I have that cooler, and the small 3cornies fit in mine.you will have to remove the shelf

I asked morebeer what the dimension are for the 7.6gal kegmentor and this was the answer

"The unit is approximately 17" tall by 16" diameter, and weighs 34 lbs empty."

Bumping this back up.

Looking the size we're discussing:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/kegmenter-fermentation-keg-76-gal.html

I currently ferment / closed transfer in a 5 gal corny, but with hops / fruits / trub I typically end up with anywhere from a half to over a gallon of unused keg space after the transfer. That's the way she goes with that setup.

This would be a vast improvement due to the extra volume where I can brew per my losses. Throw that in my tiny chest chamber and I don't think you can do better for the money.

Looking for comments on people who own them. Hopefully there are more since this thread was started

Last edited:
I was looking at the Kegmenter 7.6 and have a couple questions for people that own one. First I clean my current fermenter with a CIP ball, do these clean well upside down and sprayed? I am worried about the top not having enough doming. Second are these really new commercial Sanke kegs that have been modified? How do you measure wort/ beer temperature while fermenting? Last but not least has anyone used one for Firkin or cask, particularly interested in use for a British Real Ale kind of thing?

Thank Everybody
Got a little longer than I meant!

I have 5 of these in various sizes and shapes. You can do pressure fermentation or blow off. They have a bit of a learning curve. You have to cut the dip tube (old style if they have them) of use a hop basket for dry hop. If you don’t they will clog.

I use temperature strips. Not ideal but you can get close.

I have used this for cask as well. If you ferment under the right pressure you can be at the right c02 volume coming right out of this into the cask. I use a corny with a beer engine.

I've been using one since they became available in the US. I invert it over a kettle and use a CIP ball to clean it. I did an initial boil and scrub when I bought it but after that, I just use a CIP ball to clean it.

I have a customized 4" tri-clover lid for mine. It has 2 ball lock valves, a thermowell and a 1.5" TC ferrule, all welded on. Since I do big dry hops, I use a Clear Beer system instead of diptube, so I don't need to worry about clogs. Pressure fermentation and closed transfers are a breeze, and the lid allows me to easily pop off the lid and add hops while flushing the headspace with CO2 to reduce O2 ingress.

I've since moved to a conical and can use the same lid on that, but I'll keep the kegmenter as a backup fermenter.

Attachments

• lid.jpg
    lid.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 291
I've been using one since they became available in the US. I invert it over a kettle and use a CIP ball to clean it. I did an initial boil and scrub when I bought it but after that, I just use a CIP ball to clean it.

I have a customized 4" tri-clover lid for mine. It has 2 ball lock valves, a thermowell and a 1.5" TC ferrule, all welded on. Since I do big dry hops, I use a Clear Beer system instead of diptube, so I don't need to worry about clogs. Pressure fermentation and closed transfers are a breeze, and the lid allows me to easily pop off the lid and add hops while flushing the headspace with CO2 to reduce O2 ingress.

I've since moved to a conical and can use the same lid on that, but I'll keep the kegmenter as a backup fermenter.
Thanks. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I see a couple of these in my future.

Where can I find one of those lids?

What are you using the second gas post for?
I have the clear beer system but have not tried it in the fermenter. I’m still using the old style dip tubes. You are having good luck with it? Anything to be aware of using the clear beer system?
What did Nor-Cal charge you for the custom cap?

What are you using the second gas post for?
I have the clear beer system but have not tried it in the fermenter. I’m still using the old style dip tubes. You are having good luck with it? Anything to be aware of using the clear beer system?
What did Nor-Cal charge you for the custom cap?

I can remove the 1.5" cap to add dry hops and then I can flush CO2 into the headspace through the upper gas post. I have a Clear Beer Draft System connected to the liquid post and a blowoff tube connected to the lower gas post and I can leave them connected when I dry hop and flush with CO2 and I don't have to remove the 4" cap. It was more about convenience for me to have that 1.5" cap with the gas post.

If you are doing a lot of dry hops, the Clear Beer really is worth the money. The only downside is that depending where the Clear Beer ends up resting on the bottom of the keg, you could end up leaving more liquid in a wide keg than in a corny. You can trim the silicone tube that comes with the Clear Beer to keep it close to the middle when it gets to the bottom.

I'll PM you the details on price.

I have 5 of these in various sizes and shapes.

Did you have some of those custom made? I have only found 1/2 BBL and short 1/4 BBL. If I could find a slim 1/4 BBL with a 4" TC port I'd be quite interested.

Thanks!

Did you have some of those custom made? I have only found 1/2 BBL and short 1/4 BBL. If I could find a slim 1/4 BBL with a 4" TC port I'd be quite interested.

Thanks!
Sabco used to make the 1/4 bbl slim with 4” TC but no longer does. I did buy a couple of 1/4 bbl and had a local guy cut and weld a 4” TC port but he ruined both kegs.

Thanks! I was hoping for a 1/4 BBL but I'm sure if I let myself think too much I'll find plenty of reasons to want a 1/6 BBL too :mug:

Sabco used to make the 1/4 bbl slim with 4” TC but no longer does. I did buy a couple of 1/4 bbl and had a local guy cut and weld a 4” TC port but he ruined both kegs.
Ouch! How'd he manage that? I'm bummed to hear the slim 1/4 BBL version is no longer produced but I appreciate the heads up

I was thinking you had the smaller one, but thanks anyways. At least I know for sure the bigger one wont fit for sure.

I am wondering if the smaller one will fit in my 126 can tramotina beverage cooler.

The height of the 13gal one seem OK but the diameter is too big, I need to be like 11.5in to get the door to close.

Has anyone fit this thing in a Tramontina? It looks like it won’t fit on the floor but might fit on the first shelf.

Has anyone fit this thing in a Tramontina? It looks like it won’t fit on the floor but might fit on the first shelf.
With the 7.6 gallon on sale at morebeer for $160, I'm thinking of getting one. My fermentation chamber is a Haier beverage cooler that is the same size as the Tramontina, and I had the same thought as you: using the lowest shelf, it should just fit based on the dimensions on morebeer's site. I've been fermenting in cornies, but I like the larger volume of the Kegmenter, so as long as it fits in my fermentation fridge it's a win...

I guess we are all just waiting to see if it fits... I'm waiting for my Kegmenter to arrive, and I'm in the process of getting a Tramontina from a person on Facebook marketplace. If nobody else discovers the answer, I'll be sure to share my findings when all is said and done.

Back