kegkits same as stir-plate.com?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StMarcos

Reaction score
Was poking around for some info on stir plates, and found one called stir plate 3000, sold through various places, including brewmasters warehouse. There is a review out there

http://nickrace.net/2011/06/stir-plate-com-stir-plate-3000-review/

where the reviewer got a free one to review it. The response come from a Tom Hargrave....

I've heard many a bad thing about this person over the years via kegkits.com

He's too busy to ship people's stuff and respond to emails, but has time to start a stir-plate manufacturing gig? Would brewmasterswarehouse really buy products from a bbb F rated seller, or am I getting 2 companies mixed up here that really are not connected?

Certainly not flaming anybody here, but was interested in the sp3000. Can't bring myself to support a crackpot biz though. Set my mind at east?

Cheers....

www.Stir-Plate.com, www.kegkits.com and www.towercooler.com are all owned by the same person - me, Tom Hargrave.

And yes kegkits.com did hurt a lot of people when the busiiness was failing - we finally imploded about 18 months ago. Failing at a business is no fun especially for the one failing. I'm not proud if the fact but it is what it is. Since we failed I have been growing very slowly. I still owe suppliers and my landlord many thousands of dollars, over $30,000 the last time I counted, but they all stuck with me.

If you are upset with kegkits.com I do not expect you to buy anything from me. If I were you I wouldn't. But believe it or not quite a few customers stuck with me through this mess and this is one reason I'm stil around.

As far as the review on Nick Race's site is concerned, I only asked him to compare our stir plate with another he reviewed. I also insisted that he post his findings, the good bad or ugly and I believe he was very fair with his report. But before he would review my stir plate he asked the same questions you are probably wondering. I posted my response on his web site - you can find what I wrote here:
http://nickrace.net/2010/08/brewers-hardware-stir-plate-review/comment-page-1/#comment-852

I do appreciate the honest reply. If I read your take, it seems PWM makes more sense, but brewershardware makes a case against it. And for a lot less $$$.

Dunno, I do feel for your position in terms of the business failure, and am sorry that venture didn't work out. But I can't imagine running a company where customers are not contacted for weeks/months/ever without shipping their stuff AND charging their cc. It only takes a jolly second to write an email. You could have even sent a mass email to all customers if you were really that tight with time. I have to say I see it as bad business practice, not only hard luck.

Businesses don't just fail, they fail over time and just one email explaining "we are late" does not help much. Going through a failure myself I can now see the signs in a lot of other on-line businesses in this industry just by the way they fill orders.

It would not be fair for me to say who because I could be wrong and the last thing I want to do is cost someone a customer. Getting continuous excuses for late orders is one sign, no communication is another.

And BTW I still don't answer the phone, if I did I would be on the phone all the time and not getting work done. I do answer emails but not immediately because I'm usually busy working and I process emails in batches.

Back