Keggle volume measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proetus

Reaction score
I have tried searching but cant seem to come up with anything via google or the forums. I am pretty sure i have seen it somewhere just not sure where. I am looking for how many inches equal gallons in a keggle. Don't want to poke another hole in my keggle so i was looking at using a metal yardstick to measure inches to try and figure out how much is in my BK.

I have tried searching but cant seem to come up with anything via google or the forums. I am pretty sure i have seen it somewhere just not sure where. I am looking for how many inches equal gallons in a keggle. Don't want to poke another hole in my keggle so i was looking at using a metal yardstick to measure inches to try and figure out how much is in my BK.

You are best off measuring it yourself...

Depending on where your valve or siphon tube is loacated, you need to know how much is gonna be left behind when you drain.

Also, the bottom of the keg is rounded and the chimes (rings) change the vol/inch... So you are best off just adding water, and measuring.

Depends on what you are using it for but also kep in mind that water expands when heated... measured hot water will not equal cold water volume.

Ed

For a 1/2 BBL Sanke Keg:

Vol(Gallons) = 1.25 * Depth(Inches) + 0.979

The factor I use is 0.80 gallons per inch measured from the false bottom up. I know there is 1/2 gallon below the false bottom, so that constant is easily figured in. I ignore the ribs or chines and I know that it's 7.75 gallons to the welded seam in the middle of the keg.

How did you arrive at those numbers?

I measured the depth (to the 1/16th of an inch) of 1 gallon (measured by a milk jug) at a time and did a linear regression to get the equation.

I measured the depth (to the 1/16th of an inch) of 1 gallon (measured by a milk jug) at a time and did a linear regression to get the equation.

My keg must be a different configuration from yours. Different diameter I suppose. I'd be way off using your numbers with my keg. Not a little off; way off.

Mine's a Budweiser keg. Maybe my gallon of milk was not really a gallon :)

I know this thread is way past it's prime, but I wanted to pass along that gallons of milk are done by weight and the +- is about 24 grams. So they are pretty accurate. Just an FYI.

Back