Keggle Scorch with BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havokczl

Reaction score
Hello!
My last brew session went good & all, but at the time of clean-up I discovered something that I hadn't encountered in previous sessions. A scorch in the bottom of my keggle. Allow me to start from the top....
I decided to try something new in this session. A protein rest, although I don't know that I needed to do it, but I wanted to see if I would get slightly increased head retention & as I said to try something new. I have a false bottom & a false bottom stand(for added filtration) that I rest my grain bag on that's within a Bayou Classic steamer basket. I also have my basket modified with bolts that act as a stand that sits upon the false bottom.
At the end of the boil/cool down/wort collected & everything, I noticed I had quite a bit more trub than from previous brew sessions, and the false bottom stand had WAY MORE than the usual spent matter/trub than I had ever seen before. I can only guess that due to the protein rest, I extracted more starches/sugars/whatnot and the extra collection of gunk in the FB stand filter is what caused it, cause the blacked scorched area is right where the FB stand sits.
I was able to more or less clean up this blackened area, but I'd like to avoid this in the future.
Should I not have done a protein rest?
Any thoughts/ideas/feedback as to what else could have cause this?
Or could I have answered my own question?

Funny, I had a similar issue during my last BIAB brew. No burning, but I tried a rest at 170F for 10 minutes. Ended up with A LOT more trub than usual, and some residue on the bottom of the pot that needed to be scrubbed off. I wonder if the protein rest has something to do with it?
I don't have a false bottom but do have a pot with a 3-ply bottom which prevents scorching for me.
I may skip the rest and see if conditions return to normal. While some say a rest is not necessary for BIAB, the folks at BIABrewer.com have found through experimentation that it is somewhat beneficial.

Latest posts

Back