keggle polish help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrStrangeBrew

Reaction score
im trying to polish up my keggles. i used an angle die grinder with a roloc disc on it not sure what grit it was im guessing medium. anyways i took the first layer off and im about to get into using a fine disc and then polishing. is it ok to use a random orbit sander on something like this? i usually see people using a 4.5" angle grinder. I guess what im asking is if the random or bit is ok to use while grinding and if it is ok to use for polishing. or both?

i polished my first keggle, and that will probably be the last one, haha. It does look amazing when you are done, but be prepared to put a little time and effort into it. I used an angle grinder with 120 grit sand paper discs, then went finer from there. How fine you want to go is up to you. After you have knocked all the crap off, put on a polishing wheel and some rouge and go to town. Dont forget you can use the rough side of a dish sponge and some comet or barkeepers friend to get it nice and clean too. hope that helps a little.

im trying to polish up my keggles. i used an angle die grinder with a roloc disc on it not sure what grit it was im guessing medium. anyways i took the first layer off and im about to get into using a fine disc and then polishing. is it ok to use a random orbit sander on something like this? i usually see people using a 4.5" angle grinder. I guess what im asking is if the random or bit is ok to use while grinding and if it is ok to use for polishing. or both?

a random orbital sander will not work, it will but you would be there for days and weeks sanding and going through piles and piles of paper,,,,,, ask me how i know..........

if you don't have an angle grinder, get one from harbor freight. Their power buffer is AWESOME and cost me 40 shipped.

a random orbital sander will not work, it will but you would be there for days and weeks sanding and going through piles and piles of paper,,,,,, ask me how i know..........

well i guess ill take your advice since you seem to know the subject well..... i guess its worth the 20 or 30 bucks to save me a few days :D

if you don't have an angle grinder, get one from harbor freight. Their power buffer is AWESOME and cost me 40 shipped.

no i dont have one and im gonna check them out at harbor freight i guess i should probably have one by now but oh well. i saw one at job lot for 15 mite go back for a second look.

It is highly recommended to follow Bobby's polishing guide.

http://www.suebob.com/index.php?opt...polishing&catid=37:hardwareprojects&Itemid=64

I found the key is in the polishing step to be sure and use the right amount of pressure.
and I had the best finish with RYOBI "E" Stainless steel buffing compound.

IMAG0010.jpg

Hopefully you still read this? Looks awesome. I'm trying to do that today and all I have is a home depot. did you get all your pads there? I looked online and they didn't have any gator grit? Did you use a different brand? Also I'm doing that same setup can you send me a pic of the inside? And your measurements up from the bottom for each hole? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:tank:

Hopefully you still read this? Looks awesome. I'm trying to do that today and all I have is a home depot. did you get all your pads there? I looked online and they didn't have any gator grit? Did you use a different brand? Also I'm doing that same setup can you send me a pic of the inside? And your measurements up from the bottom for each hole? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:tank:

Good luck with the polishing.I finished my last keg last summer and I got all the pads from Lowes. I looked but didn't see anything that would work at the local Home Depot. But like I said that was last summer, they may have something now. I have tried to forget most of that project. It was such a miserable project, I'm still in therapy and trying my best to put it behind me. Drink more, drink more, drink more. The nightmares will pass. :smack:

Home Depot didn't have anything. I think I had every employee in that place looking. I hate Home Depot! So I went to every place I could think of and finally found some buffing pads but they aren't gator grit so they don't gone in medium or fine. So what I did was use my orbital sander with a 80 grit paper to take all deep scratches out then jumped to a a 120 then I think 320. Now I'm going to use this buffing wheel with the grit to still take out any scratches I missed then use the finishing compound. Hopefully this works. I agree drink drink and drink some more:mug:

Do you have a pic of the inside of your keg? I wanted to buff then drill the holes but it got cold out do ill have to wait till it warms up:-(

none of those links work for guides. does anyone have the process for this still? building a 3 keggle setup this winter. would be nice to have shiny ones to start hahah

Latest posts

Back