Keggle Pickup Tupe Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltymike

Reaction score
I'm about to order the parts for my pickup tube..

I use (or i should say am going to use) my home made counter flow chiller which uses 3/8 OD copper inside a garden hose, gravity fed..

So my question is .. Should i keep my pickup tube 3/8 inch as well, or are there any benefits on using 1/2 inch?

thanks
Malty Mike

sorta off topic but sorta on topic

When creating the siphon does the output hose have to be submerged in the carboy to be able maintain suction to draw liquid through the pickup tube below the valve? I've never been able to drain with my pickup tube below the level of the valve.

Go with the 1/2". I say this because if some day down the road you go to a pump you will want the larger one..
I have both, one kettle has the 3/8 and one has the 1/2. I'm now switching the 3/8's to 1/2 because it flows so dame slow.

When creating the siphon does the output hose have to be submerged in the carboy to be able maintain suction to draw liquid through the pickup tube below the valve? I've never been able to drain with my pickup tube below the level of the valve.

your pickup tube should be pointed down to the bottom of the kettle and will suck the wort up until it can't pull it any more.

It doesn't have to be submerged, but your output hose has to be below the bottom of the kettle. That's the only way gravity can do its thing. ;)

Right and this is how I have it. Must be a small air gap somewhere in my pickup to mounting to my keg. Is teflon tape safe for the inside of a boil kettle?

Yes, I suspect you have an air leak inside the keg. Teflon tape is safe.

I figured thats what it was, but was unsure of putting teflon tape inside the boil. Thanks for the assurance. I've wanted tio ask for a long time but didn't want to start a thread for what I thought was such a dumb question.

Do you have a sightglass on the keggle? Sometimes the placement of it will break the siphon since the tube itself isn't capped off, allowing air in.

I figured thats what it was, but was unsure of putting teflon tape inside the boil. Thanks for the assurance. I've wanted tio ask for a long time but didn't want to start a thread for what I thought was such a dumb question.

Back