Keggle MLT Insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couevas

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been poking around this site for a few weeks and have a question.

I am finishing up my homegrown 3-tier sculpture (thread to follow soon) and am thinking I will have to insulate my MLT to hold temps. Is there anyone that has used an insulation wrap for a water heater for this purpose? I think it will work well and it has an R factor of 11, so it will insulate great.

Comments?

My only worry is the fiberglass insulation material. I don't want that in my brew....but I think I will be able to contain it.

Hi All,

I have been poking around this site for a few weeks and have a question.

I am finishing up my homegrown 3-tier sculpture (thread to follow soon) and am thinking I will have to insulate my MLT to hold temps. Is there anyone that has used an insulation wrap for a water heater for this purpose? I think it will work well and it has an R factor of 11, so it will insulate great.

The only thing I am kinda worried about is the fiberglass insulation. However I think I will be able to contain it.

Comments?

If you seal the fiberglass up, you should be fine, but at the same time if you are direct firing that vinyl backing may not be so great.

There will be no heat source on the MLT. This is why insulation will be so valuable. I was thinking of just sealing the top and bottom with a Duct Tape "seam." It would definately go with my complete "homegrown" DIY system.

If you arn't going to direct fire or heat your MLT somehow, a cooler may be a better option. Plus, its already insulated:D You can probably pick up a good sized one for the same price as the water heater blanket.

BREWtality's "genius" is in it's mounting system. I hang the keggles by a two hook system...one hooking the lower rim, and one hooked around the upper rim. This does away with the need for very strong shelves and it keeps the whole tree very light and transportable.

Also, I may add a heat source later to the MLT. It would be fairly simple to add another burner or electric element if needed. I just want to see if my efficiencies are good this way. I never needed a heat source with my little 5 gallon round cooler tun.

Here are some pics of the mounting system, a full thread on the build will follow when it is complete.

IMG_2329.JPG

Hook 1

IMG_2328.JPG

Hook 2

IMG_2331.JPG

Mounted Keggle

ccouevas said:
Here are some pics of the mounting system, a full thread on the build will follow when it is complete.

IMG_2329.JPG

Hook 1

IMG_2328.JPG

Hook 2

IMG_2331.JPG

Mounted Keggle

After seeing a patent for this I think you should patent this idea. It is bad ass and good work!

That keg cooler is a great idea! Kinda like the ice cube coolers with the draft tower on top. The hook system looks cool too...but it makes me nervous. How well will the hook hold up over time?

Each seam is weld 360 degrees around on all sides and the square tubing is about .150 wall thickness.

The entire tree, loaded with 3 full keggles (approx 450 pounds) plus my 220 lb fat ass sitting on the brew keggle, didn't flex or fail. It is plenty strong....or at least my B.S. in Engineering tells me so (if I retained anything I learned at Cal Poly).

The most that will be in the system at one time will be about 15 gallons of water and 20-25 pounds of grain (for extreme O.G. brews).

wow, thats a bad ass idea!

(scribbles some notes:D )

If you arn't worried about the dough, want to insulate, and may be able to direct fire in the futre, I have heard tell os someone using a welding blanket to wrap thier keg.

Another benefit of this system is that the Keggles are "locked" in place. It is physically impossible for the keggle to fall out or over unless lifted straight up until the lower lip clears the top of the lower hook.

In the words of Danger Ehren....."SAFETY FIRST"

NoClueBrewMaster said:
I use this insulation for all my brewing needs.

I think I am gonna try to find something like this. Looks like the R factor is just as high if not higher than the fiberglass insulation wraps designed for water heaters and it seems to have nice sealed edges.

......ALMOST DONE

I am also trying to figure out what to use to make a Mash Tun insulating blanket. I would have no problem taking it off when needed if I am doing a step mash and would like something that would be durable and not look ratty.

I was thinking of trying to find some kind of fire retardant canvas-like material for the shell and using a layer of wool for the inside. Then maybe sewing velcro on one end so I can put it on and remove it quickly and easily.

I thought that I could then just throw it on after I start my mash and remove it if needed during the raising of the mash temp and then slap it back on.

Any feedback on this being a good/bad solution?

Here is my frame that I finished 2 months ago. 2" x 3" .083" rect. tubing. I needed 45' for the frame. I work in the steel industry so the tubing was free.

2899161048_4602e7cba5.jpg

I wrapped my MLT with air duct insulation, $20 for a roll at any Hardware store...it works really well for me. One side has adhesive so you just wrap it around. I'll try to post a picture later

The most that will be in the system at one time will be about 15 gallons of water and 20-25 pounds of grain (for extreme O.G. brews).

I don't about that, I used 35 lbs of grain in my holiday ale on Sunday that was a 7.78% ABV beer, and that was before it was wet....plus the 18 gallons of water that I mashed/sparged with, plus the 5 gallons in the HLT tank for clean up...I would think that you will be putting much more the 15 gallons of water and 25 pounds of grain on to that stand...I'm not saying it won't hold the weight, just saying it will be more weight then you say in your comment.

Looks great cool though.

Doesn't seem to be much in term of updates lately, but I have been keeping an eye on it too.
I think I have decided to get a roll of Reflectix from Lowe's and give my keggle MLT a couple of wraps and see how that does. A 16"x25' roll is only $20, so if it doesn't work so well, I won't be out a ton of money. 25' will give you somewhere between 5 and 6 wraps.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=0&Ntt=insulation&Ntk=i_products&pad=true

I can't remember who it was off hand, but someone on here used it then had their MLT Line-X'ed. It was freakin' awesome to look at, but I don't remember how it was in terms of heat loss. Sure did look cool though!

I'm trying to figure out how I can work Durarock into my insulation plans so I won't have to remove my insulation for light temperature adjustments...

I've considered that too. I'd take a square of durarock and cut a circle in it with JUST enough diameter to fit the bottom of the keggle with no gap. Then, give yourself about 6" up from that, and the leaping flames and fumes should be dampened enough to protect your insulation.

I still think that if you keep the burner on low, (you should be anyway) the flames licking the side are irrelevant. The question is, is the heat from a burner on low enough to actually melt the reflectix? AND, if you move the lining up about 6-8 inches to prevent burning, do you really lose that much insulating effect (especially with the burner periodically adding back heat)?

Has anyone got any experience? FWIW, they make jackets for bullet type smokers that go right over the grill and actually touch very near where the coals sit.

I have a keggle MLT insulated with 3 layers of reflectix. It get's "singed" and shows signs of slight melting from the burner, but it's lasted me a year and a half now and looks to last another year or so. The key is to tape the seems with the thick foil tape (comes in a roll, but has a peel-off backing). I also taped over the drain holes in the bottom keg skirt with the same tape, so no flames shoot up through them. It's held up well, but I am careful and conscious of trapping propane gas under the skirt.

I am heating my MLT through recirculation, not direct-heat. So melting is not an issue, but menschmaschine has the right idea with the heavy duct tape. (the real foil stuff, not the fix-it-all 200MPH stuff)

Sorry for the long time away. As far as updates go, I started a thread on the whole rig, as this thread was originally aimed at just the insulation. See link below:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brewtality-65495/

Also, I have begun drawing up plans for going down to one tier with recirculation. I would like to brew without a ladder and control temps a little better with recirculation.

I will post on this build when I start.

-C

Back