Keggle Lip Gasket - Anyone done this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I am converting a couple kegs tomorrow into "keggles". I have read how you round the edges off where you cut the hole to make them less sharp.

Has anyone put a gasket on here to ensure you dont cut yourself?

I was thinking of using high temp silicone hosing (like used in car) and splitting it length-wise and slipping it over the lip.

Do you all think this will hold up to the heat?

:mug:

Atl300zx said:
I am converting a couple kegs tomorrow into "keggles". I have read how you round the edges off where you cut the hole to make them less sharp.

Has anyone put a gasket on here to ensure you dont cut yourself?

I was thinking of using high temp silicone hosing (like used in car) and splitting it length-wise and slipping it over the lip.

Do you all think this will hold up to the heat?

:mug:
Taking a file to the edge to round it off is easy and cheap. There is also nothing for mash to get stuck under and sour, causing infection in the wort before it hits the boiler, or after... Just a thought.

Most silicone tubing will work for the application you suggest. A few minutes with a file or some 220-ish grit wet/dry paper will work just as well.

If you grind/sand the edge down correctly, it really isn't sharp, and thus there really isn't any real danger of cutting yourself. The metal is thick enough that you can get a decent rounded edge on there.

Mabey someone else will read this thread.:rolleyes:
7451-RIS_94.jpg

I used a file to wear the edges/burrs down then a medium sand paper to finish it off.

If you really want to, I think that you could also get that brush on tool-handle coating. I can't think of the name of it right now though.

ClutchDude said:
I used a file to wear the edges/burrs down then a medium sand paper to finish it off.

If you really want to, I think that you could also get that brush on tool-handle coating. I can't think of the name of it right now though.

The name you're thinking of is Plasti-Dip, but I sure wouldn't use it on my keggle. The lip sands down just fine with a little grinding and some sandpaper -- I actually used my plumbing grit paper for prepping copper pipes for sweating, and it worked great.

We have two keggles. One we bought that had been cut with a plasma cutter and the other I cut myself with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. The one I cut was much smoother than the plasma cut, but still had a few little burrs. A flap wheel on the angle gridner took those right off and even cleaned up the plasma cut one too.

I draw filed mine with a bastard file and hit it with some light sand papper. was done in less than 5 minutes.

Back