keggle lids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsheehan516

Reaction score
Hello all! Im almost done building my single tier brew stand, got my pumps, kegs, QD's, and almost everything else I need to make the huge step to all grain. Just curious what others are using for lids for their keggles, Are you using a all stainless lid with a handle? Or a glass lid with SS handle and ring around the edge.

I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to sparge (fly/batch) I will be step up for both. What are some of the better ways to do this? Through the top of the side of the keggle below the lid with a QD and through wall?

I have a lot more questions but they don't pertain to this thread.

find some cheap aluminum lids. i used the two i had from my earlier turkey fryer setup and they fit perfectly.

did you go with the (aluminum/ solid) lids because they are cheap? Or because they work the best? I kinda like the idea of being able to see into the pot without lifting the lid. I don't know, I've never done it. I'm just trying to buy once because its cheaper in the end.

Oh yeah, I have not cut the tops of the kegs yet. I've been waiting for the lids.

thanks

Hello all! Im almost done building my single tier brew stand, got my pumps, kegs, QD's, and almost everything else I need to make the huge step to all grain. Just curious what others are using for lids for their keggles, Are you using a all stainless lid with a handle? Or a glass lid with SS handle and ring around the edge.

I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to sparge (fly/batch) I will be step up for both. What are some of the better ways to do this? Through the top of the side of the keggle below the lid with a QD and through wall?

I have a lot more questions but they don't pertain to this thread.

You'll here different opinions on sparge types. Many of us batch sparge. It works fine. Bobby_M has a good write up on his batch sparge method on his website All Grain
If you decide to fly sparge, you might consider something that attaches to a lid and feeds out that way.

Good luck on the first batch.

I was amazed when my old aluminum lid from my turkey fryer pot fit one of my keggles perfectly. Didn't plan it that way, just worked out.

I just recently acquired another keg that was already converted to MLT and the hole is pretty big. I'm going to look around to see what I can find to cheaply make one.

My deep dish pizza pan I have would fit perfectly if I just bent it a little, but I'd rather keep that round for pizza usage.

did you go with the (aluminum/ solid) lids because they are cheap? Or because they work the best? I kinda like the idea of being able to see into the pot without lifting the lid. I don't know, I've never done it. I'm just trying to buy once because its cheaper in the end.

Oh yeah, I have not cut the tops of the kegs yet. I've been waiting for the lids.

thanks

Aha.

If you cut the lids properly, a standard 12" stock pot or frying pan lid works well. (What I am saying is use that as a basis to make your hole a specific size). If I am reading you right, you have 3 kegs. One for an HLT, one for an MLT, and one for a boil kettle. You will not need a lid for the boil kettle. I would personally recommend metal lids for the other two as they should hold in heat slightly better than a glass lid. Honestly there is really nothing to see while mashing.

I recently went through the same issue. I first planned on clear (glass, plastic) lids. Best way I could get them was WalMart skillet with a lid. around 18-20 bucks. Then started thinking about putting holes in them. Searched and found Stainless lids for 30 + shipping each. Times three and that was too high for me. I eventually settled on Aluminum lids I can get local at a restaurant supply company. I think they were less than 20 each, and I can get them easily. I also wanted my lids before I cut my tops out so that I was sure they would fit. I found that an 11 inch lid seems to be a pretty standard size for lids. Or pot covers as they call them in the food business.

Good luck.

foam board insulation cut in a circle and then covered with heavy duty foil. I attached a wood knob to the top and it is a great mash tun lid. already had all the supplies so was a cheap solution in the heat of the battle.

I bought two metal pizza pans, the kind with the raised lip. I flipped one around, filled the void with two layers of insulation foam and then affixed reflectix to the inside surface via the silver reflectix tape. Worked good, provides insulation and remarkably fits in the cut hole perfectly. I'll add pics in a bit.

I bought two metal pizza pans, the kind with the raised lip. I flipped one around, filled the void with two layers of insulation foam and then affixed reflectix to the inside surface via the silver reflectix tape. Worked good, provides insulation and remarkably fits in the cut hole perfectly. I'll add pics in a bit.

That's brilliant. For the new lid I was going to make I was going to put some insulation on top, but this would be a much cleaner setup. Love to see the pics

]I have a lot more questions but they don't pertain to this thread.

nsheehan, if you have a ton of questions just cruse through the beginners forums, serach for the question, hit up the all grain forum there are lots of questions out there already answered.

As for a lid, well the only time you need to see is when you are boiling and during your boil the lid is off. Just get something big enough to cover the hole maybe bend it a little. Sometimes lids from other pots will work, but i would recommend SS or aluminum, glass is just another thing to break (and im good at that).

As for sparging, there are a lot of cheap methods that will get you buy until you can get something rolling. I have dont batch sparging and fly sparging on the same brew and they tasted almost the exact same. Just make sure you batch sparge water doesnt cool off while you are batch sparging.

You can also make a cheap fly sparge out of a circular sprinkler, got one at the local store (plastic one) for 2.99 in a pinch (it actually worked really well). Tons of options, just choose what works for you, if you have the money just get a fly sparge at your local brew store.

Here's my lid design. I will probably do the same things again, but with better quality more robust pizza pans and rivet them together.

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

For my lids I used some pizza tins that I got cheap at the local restaurant supply store. I put a drawer pull in the center for a handle.

I think they were 14" lids. I had to bend them just a little so they fit both of my kegs. The one keg I have the top is bent a bit in one spot.

I have lids and seldom use them. Sometimes I put one on the kettle when heating strike and sparge water. When I remember, that is. I wonder how much faster the water heating is with lid vs. no lid. I suspect it's not much of a difference when ambient temps are moderate. Outside in cold or windy weather would probably be a different story. I do need to be able to observe the mash as I do the continuous recirc thing. Continuous monitoring is not necesssary, but an occasional peek is reassuring. BK needs no lid and the HLT is an Ice Cube cooler. I'm not sure why, but I was taught to store kettles with the lid off. I think it has to do with making sure that it dries well after cleaning. Any water remaining could stay there for quite a while with the lid on and things like mold could get a foothold.

I used the circle that I cut out from the top of the keg. Placed a rubber bung in the hole where the spear used to be, and tack welded 3 small stainless strips around the edge that rest on the keggle. I've seen the same thing done with stainless washers rather than curved strips.

I stole a 12" glass lid with stainless rim and handle from the kitchen. Need 2 more. Fits like a glove.

534bf50ffb1286207bc0a11555e9e3b3.jpg

I used the circle that I cut out from the top of the keg. Placed a rubber bung in the hole where the spear used to be, and tack welded 3 small stainless strips around the edge that rest on the keggle. I've seen the same thing done with stainless washers rather than curved strips.

This to me is the best method. Everything except the washers is already on hand. I use the spear for the handle and tack on 3 small washers. Since lids aren't needed really, why spend money on them. Just my .05 worth.

Happy Brewing.:mug:

Just for fun here is a pic of one.
P1010129-1.jpg

Back