Keggle in ice bath?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

Reaction score
I going the keggle route for my next batch. Would it be feasible to place my brewpot keggle directly into an ice bath for my next batch? I have a plastic tub that was a 55 gallon drum cut in half. I'm hoping to do 10 gallons and don't have anything large enough to ice bath 10 gallons at this point. I'll have to add plenty of ice to it, but ice supply is not a concern. This is a pic of my 32 qt in the aforementioned ice bath.

Edit - how would this affect a ball valve on the bottom of a keggle? Can it sit in water? My guess is yes.

image-1555346506.jpg

I would think you should have no more concerns then you do right now. As far as the ball valve.. Don't open it!

why not get an immersion chiller? I just built one yesterday, went with 50ft of tubing which cost me $60 and then I bought laundry hose so that I had the garden hose end on it. Total cost was about $75 to make this but when I chilled my 5 gallon batch down to 60 degrees in about 10 minutes time, I was pumped!

why not get an immersion chiller? I just built one yesterday, went with 50ft of tubing which cost me $60 and then I bought laundry hose so that I had the garden hose end on it. Total cost was about $75 to make this but when I chilled my 5 gallon batch down to 60 degrees in about 10 minutes time, I was pumped!

you must have very cold water. Mine takes 30+ mins to chill with mains water at around 75 degrees

Only problem I see is lifting 10 gallons of boiling hot wort off the burner and into the ice bath. Otherwise I don't see an issue.

Can you lift a keggle and 10gal of wort? That's going to be pretty damn heavy... and hot!

That's the new concern - if there are two of us I think it's possible. No way on one man show.

Back