Keggle imprint - what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-west

Reaction score
Bought it from a local home brewer that works at a distribution facility, good guy, bought a couple others off of him.

Got this one home and AFTER I cut the top off, I noticed the dent in the bottom.

Feels really thin along the edge. I was planning on getting some fittings welded in tomorrow, do you think the welder can fix it?

Should I scrap it and start again? Maybe turn it into a bottom drain and sell it?

Thoughts?

VZM.IMG_20161212_173432.jpg

VZM.IMG_20161212_173529.jpg

That might work without a flaw for years to come. But to be safe I'd simply have the welder fill in the indentation on the outside with beads of welding and call it kosher. Maybe smooth the outside surface with a grinder but wouldn't dare tough the inside unless the worst case scenario occurred.

That might work without a flaw for years to come. But to be safe I'd simply have the welder fill in the indentation on the outside with beads of welding and call it kosher. Maybe smooth the outside surface with a grinder but wouldn't dare tough the inside unless the worst case scenario occurred.

If he fixes it with a weld, wouldn't that cause a hot spot if I use this as my boil kettle?

You could put a heating element in it so you don't expose it to a flame. It's just an idea. I've been flirting around with the idea of building a HLT with a heating element in it and still using my burners for multi kettle boiling.

You could put a heating element in it so you don't expose it to a flame. It's just an idea. I've been flirting around with the idea of building a HLT with a heating element in it and still using my burners for multi kettle boiling.

Its propane burners for now, I am going to build a RIMS and get that under my belt before I go all electric. I have a spare keg that I will convert to an electric boil kettle once I pop in my new breaker and get wires run.

If he fixes it with a weld, wouldn't that cause a hot spot if I use this as my boil kettle?

I could be wrong but assuming the dent is filled with weld then ground flush the resulting thicker spot would provide more thermal resistance than the surrounding base material.

If anything it'd be a cool spot.

I've looked at that pic every time this thread gets bumped and wondered WTH that keg got dropped on. A bolt head from a truck bed?

Cheers!

Me too! It has a small scratch around the dent in the shape of a circle, you can kind of make it out.

I have to assume it was under pressure when the dent happened or it probably would have caved in the bottom.

Based on how I treated kegs when I was 23, I like to think some drunk college kids tipped it over and tried to make a rocket out of it by shaking it up and hitting it with a piece of pipe.

lol

It's a burst disc, for lack of a better term. If a full untapped keg were to become over-pressurized, it will blow out there before becoming a 15 gallon bottle bomb.

It's a burst disc, for lack of a better term. If a full untapped keg were to become over-pressurized, it will blow out there before becoming a 15 gallon bottle bomb.

Considering the built in safety factor snake kegs have....someone would REALLY want to overpressure the keg to reach that point. IIRC they have a safety factor of like 10x. So that's a burst pressure of about 600 psi.

I don't buy that's a "built in" spot on the keg.

Considering the built in safety factor snake kegs have....someone would REALLY want to overpressure the keg to reach that point. IIRC they have a safety factor of like 10x. So that's a burst pressure of about 600 psi.

I don't buy that's a "built in" spot on the keg.

Nice work Malted Hops!!! I looked it up, and it is in fact stamped in there from the factory!

http://www.blefakegs.com/fileadmin/Daten/Downloads/BLEFA_Product_Information_BurstDisc_20160520.pdf

Nice work Malted Hops!!! I looked it up, and it is in fact stamped in there from the factory!

http://www.blefakegs.com/fileadmin/Daten/Downloads/BLEFA_Product_Information_BurstDisc_20160520.pdf

Thank you malted hops for the info.

However, I can't believe this is something that was actually used. Honestly.

"Controlled and safe release of excessive pressure reliably prevents containers bursting. That means no danger to people and no risk of collateral damage. With a +\- 145 psi error factor."

Really?

Edit:
I was gonna say it but, decided to look for it instead.....

5. Burst pressure – Stainless steel kegs are rated for an internal pressure of at least 60 to 90 PSI without deformation, with a burst pressure of at least 300 PSI. The safety factors for burst pressure is usually about three to four, so the new keg does not actually rupture until it is exposed to 1000 PSI internal pressure or more. A lot of the new kegs can be purchased with a special pressure relief-valve in the form of a burst disc, which is a small circle stamp on the bottom dome of the keg, which is designed to break out at a certain design pressure to prevent the valve from becoming the weakest point of the pressure vessel. Never intentionally pressurize the keg to more than the design pressure using compressed air, to prevent damage to the keg or worse injuring yourself or innocent bystanders. The reason for this is that while liquid is incompressible, air can be compressed to the point of becoming very dangerous, like a rocket or a torpedo. When de-denting kegs to remove volume impacting dents, it has to be done using liquid and not air, and this procedure should only be done by professional keg service companies.

Again, one would REALLY want to over pressure a keg to set one off. Your standard home air compressor only gets to 135 psi (single stage). One could hook a keg up to a bottle of gas yes......however they would need the other equipment to handle the pressure as well......that's a lot of trouble IMO.

The way I see it, is its not a safety feature that a user has to be cautious about, its a safety feature to protect others in case of a catastrophic failure situation like a brewery fire. That way the kegs don't become silent time bombs and injure emergency crews.

Latest posts

Back