Keggle Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mZnthebend

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with using a keggle as a fermenter? I have a keggle that I use as an HLT that has a stainless ball valve on it and that's it.

I know it wouldn't seal up air tight, but that has been debated enough and does not seem to be an issue. I have a copper dip tube that is not soldered, just press fit together that would work well for racking to secondary (as long as I don't get too greedy and keep the pick-up high enough. Seems like the concave bottom would help consolidate cold break and trub that may be able to be siphoned off to negate racking to a secondary?

Aside from moving the beast, it seems too easy. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

I would not bother using the vavle as a racking port. But yes the kegs do work for fermenters.

MVC-760F.jpg

I'll be using a 15.5g sanke for a fermenter for the first time this weekend. It's unmodified, other than removing the stem and using a #11 stopper. Fits perfectly in my fermentation cooler...

In the next week or two, I'll be doing a full build for a keg to fermenter ... I'll post pictures when I'm done. So far, the dome is going to be about 40 dollars and the grommet material will be around 15-20. Food Safe screws are quite easy to come by...

Back