Keggle Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever will hold it safely. The important thing is enough btu and proper heat dispersion. There are many burners available that will work. I use electric and simply put the kettle on the floor while boiling.

The hot kind

Sorry... I'm in a smart @$$ mood tonight with the "ask me anything" post... ;)

For 5 gallon batches, using a "normal" brew pot, I have used a 5400 btu Bayou Classic burner.

I just acquired and cut the top out of a 15.5 gal keg that I plan to complete the conversation to a keggle. I know the burner that I have will work in a pinch, but given the thickness and thermal mass of the keggle, I plan to purchase a larger burner to heat this thing up in proper fashion.

I will be buying a BG14 burner. Either through a fully assembled burner or just the burner it's and fabricate the burner in a stand.

The bayou SQ-14 served me well for almost 9 years before going electric...it's still in operation too with a friend

BTW, Here's my keg (future keggle) with the top already cut out. Was going to continue the polishing but I kinda like the brushed finish look. What do you think??

Polished keg.jpg

I have a bayou classic that came with the aluminum turkey pot...it can't get the keggle hot enough. But as soon as I transfer it to the 8 gallon brew pot bam it's a rolling boil. The first time I tried using the keggle was last winter...I thought because it was cold out 55 degrees or so, it was preventing it from getting hot...then I tried it again in the Florida summer and no luck again.

Back