Compelling Reasons #1: Constant recirculation in the BK..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken Crow

Ale's what cures 'ya
Reaction score
Something I didn't give a lot of thought to, ...I simply implemeted it and haven't had any noticable issues. I have brain/spine/CNS damage and brewdays are hell, so to eleiminate having to do so much being vertical and using anything attached to my spine, (plus; having an issue with temp stratification in my keggle)... I run constant recirculation throughout the boil.
Is there any compelling reason not to do so?

Maintaining recirculation during the boil can be challenging as the suction pressure at the input to the pump's impeller chamber can cause "localized vapor break-out" (ie: steam) which in turn can cavitate the pump. Lowering the flow rate may reduce the propensity for cavitation to occur. If I try to run my March 815PL wort pump at full flow while the boil is on the pump will cavitate before long, but if I valve the flow back to ~50% it will maintain a modest recirculation through the boil.

That related, I usually don't have a good reason to run the pump once the wort is at boiling temperature, so I typically shut it off until it's time for whirlpooling or chilling...

Cheers!

Maintaining recirculation during the boil can be challenging as the suction pressure at the input to the pump's impeller chamber can cause "localized vapor break-out" (ie: steam) which in turn can cavitate the pump. Lowering the flow rate may reduce the propensity for cavitation to occur. If I try to run my March 815PL wort pump at full flow while the boil is on the pump will cavitate before long, but if I valve the flow back to ~50% it will maintain a modest recirculation through the boil.

That related, I usually don't have a good reason to run the pump once the wort is at boiling temperature, so I typically shut it off until it's time for whirlpooling or chilling...

Cheers!
Thanks! That clears up something that puzzeled me when I started using my keggle... I'd assumed it was air-pockets and couldn't figure out where it was coming from...drove me a bit nuts, but going to a low instead of rollling boil and restricting the flow seemed to fix it. With the keggle, I mounted the heating element a bit higher than ideal and got some pretty severe temp stratification. The system I'm replacing it with has a proper flat bottomed pot so that shouldn't be such an issue.

Latest posts

Back