Keggle bottom draining tri-clamp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenaudP

A curiosity turned obsession.
Reaction score
I’m building a herms out of 3 15g kegs.
I will be using them upside down to use the original sankey opening as a bottom drain.

The keg opening is perfect for a 2” tri-clamp which I intend to use to convert to SS pipes underneath the build.

So basically, from the keg opening to tri-clamp ferrule that holds a tri-clamp to 1/2 npt male tread.

I can make the connection without problem if I don’t put a washer between the keg opening and the tri-clamp to 1/2 npt adapter. As soon as I put the washer, I can’t close the tri-clamp.

What are my options? Would changing my ferrules to 2”1/2 tri-clamp instead of 2” work?

Thanks
85703EDD-D0B8-4F8A-8593-74BFF7F37BB7.jpeg15873BD5-3B1E-4FD4-92BD-13D16519D308.jpeg4FAE6271-4DD8-49A6-B8CD-4077EBDE3E0A.jpeg

Get one of these gaskets (half flat) from Brewers Hardware:
https://www.brewershardware.com/F1GASSIL.html?category_id=330They work well between Sanke keg tops and TC fittings (I've used them plenty). You can also get the right size o-ring if you wanted to (I have, don't recall the exact spec's).

Thanks. I tried with a flat gasket on both sides and it’s still too thick to with fit the TC.

I might try the o-ring solution, it’s a great idea.

I've had good results with the clamps from Brewers Hardware as well. I've not had any of those (or from Spike) fail to work. Hell, I had some crappy ones from Amazon that connected up to other TC fittings (1-1/2") without issue. I just didn't like how light duty they felt.

Be aware that the o-rings can/will compress over time. The half gasket (I linked to earlier) are more long-term usable IMO/IME. You might need to work it a bit to be sure it connects. I've had to spin the nut on it open more than a bit on some to get them to close. Then screw them until it hits the German standard (Gudentight).

Last edited:
Sanke keg tops mate 100% to the 2" TC size (the ferrules/fittings are ~2-1/2" OD, since it's for 2" pipe). You might way to try putting an elbow onto the keg port then put the valve where you'll be able to reach it.

I've removed almost all threaded fittings in my brewery setup and don't miss a single one of them. Going over to all TC fittings has made full cleanup easier, and faster. Plus, less places for things to hide (to become issues later). The only item I currently have that's NOT TC native is my place chiller. I'm looking to change that over within the next couple of months.

Easy fix, get a 4 inch grinder and grind off a 32nd or so across the top. Keep grinding till it fits. One other thought, is that are the kegs square at the bottom of the connector where the clamp hits? if so, you might try grinding an angle around the while diameter. The fittings are all tapered to fit the clamp.
I would grind and then use file to eliminate and sharp edges.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. You’re a great and generous community.
I’ll keep you updated when I find a fix that works.

Back