Keggle BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texwake

Reaction score
So I'm trying to set myself up for brew in a bag with a new kettle. Are there any disadvantages in doing it with a keggle?

The unique shape of the keggle makes it a less desireable choice because you need to have a bag big enough to fit the largest part of the vessel so there isn't water trapped outside the grain but then you would have a bag full of grain to pull through the smaller opening and it just doesn't fit. If the opening is not smooth enough it can rip the bag as you pull it through. Although the cost will be more you really want a pot with straight sides and a nicely fitting lid.

Having done the three types of brewing in a keggle (extract, all grain w/ mash tun, all grain BIAB) I can only conclude that keggles suck. There are better, cheaper, and more legal options out there.

Other than the opening problem discussed above is if you are going to go to 10 gallon batches in a Keggle, that much grain is very hard to lift out without a winch.

I have brewed a couple of 10 gallon BIAB batches using a keggle without any problems. I wanted to compare BIAB to my normal 3 vessel setup so I bought a wilserbag made for keggles.

Since I already had the keggle the cost of the bag and pulley assembly was my only expense. I'm still on the fence about whether to permanently stick with BIAB but I plan to do at least 2 more batches with that method using a keggle.

I have brewed a couple of 10 gallon BIAB batches using a keggle without any problems. I wanted to compare BIAB to my normal 3 vessel setup so I bought a wilserbag made for keggles.

Since I already had the keggle the cost of the bag and pulley assembly was my only expense. I'm still on the fence about whether to permanently stick with BIAB but I plan to do at least 2 more batches with that method using a keggle.

I just bought a three keggle system from a friend back in April. I brewed 4 batches on it and decided to try BIAB. That was June and I haven't used the three vessels system since. BIAB is just so much easier... in preparation for brew day... conducting the brew... cleaning up. I'm seriously considering selling my less than a year old three keggle monstrosity and buying an eBIAB system.

Latest posts

Back