Keggle Biab basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimgid

Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching to Biab and would like to modify one of my existing keggles. Seems like using a strainer basket can be really helpful. Does anyone out there have a strainer basket that works well in a converted keg set up? Trying to avoid a custom made piece.

I'm thinking of switching to Biab and would like to modify one of my existing keggles. Seems like using a strainer basket can be really helpful. Does anyone out there have a strainer basket that works well in a converted keg set up? Trying to avoid a custom made piece.

Nope, but I just hacked the top all the way off an use a Wilserbrew bag. I too wanted a basket at first but now I wonder why.

?Just moved mine into the basement this weekend and oh, so nice. No pictures of that yet but here is the original build.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=527699

FYI, every one is right, in the end I will want a 20 gallon pot so I can do true 10 gallon finished product.

I agree. Before I spent any money bettering a keggle set up, I would get a 15 or 20 gallon kettle.

I have never used a basket and have done 35 lb grain bills for 15 gal batches.

If you wanna go fancy pants and recirculate and add heat, then perhaps a basket would be helpful. For basic standard BIAB I prefer the "less is more" motif and fly without a basket.

Fwiw, for those set on using a keggle with small opening, I am now making bags with a heavy taper to facilitate bag removal.

I always thought of BIAB with a small tip opening keggle kinda like building a ship in a bottle....seems to work fine for many, I've never used a keggle.

Sounds like solid advice. I do have another question... How do you prevent snags on the bag with no basket? I.e. Thermometer probe, whirlpool arm ect.?

Sounds like solid advice. I do have another question... How do you prevent snags on the bag with no basket? I.e. Thermometer probe, whirlpool arm ect.?

Common sense lol
Push the bag away from obstructions with your brew paddle or spoon. The bag should easily "float" to surface when removing.

Some make the mistake of getting help from friends and neighbors to help pull harder....bad move.

A little patience and finesse is all you need.

I use a mash paddle to gently push the bag away from the thermo probe while lifting out. A ratchet pulley really helps here, as you can hoist a little, check clearance, hoist a little more, etc. Once the bag is clear of the probe, hoist it the rest of the way out. Wilser sells a nice pulley that will easily handle this.

I am about to try my keggle as a recirculating eBIAB and I am thinking during the mash step to line the rim with a slit piece of vinyl tubing, (or even better polyethylene) and then when I pull the bag I pull the tubing. That should prevent snags. At some point I will probably by looking to get a professionally made bag, but initially I have rigged up two strainers to test the setup. I like the idea of two smaller bags in a keggle in particular because of the aforementioned lip on the top. I might have two bags custom made rather than one. Then I would have one half the weight to pull out also. Less stuff and less area is why I am designing and building this..

Latest posts

Back