kegging with sanke kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrwb33

Reaction score
I am going to remove the spear and siphon beer into the keg. My question is when i carb do I have to connect the beer out line to my faucet in order to prevent beer from shooting out the top of the tap? Or can i just hook up my co2 line, purge, then connect to faucet when I am ready to serve?

Here's my little secret:

I have sankey kegs and I am able to carb in 24 hour consistently. I switch the lines on the coupling head so that the CO2 is going in the beer out line and I put a coin (dime) in the beer line between the gasket and tail piece and connect it to the gas-in line.

With that setting crank up the CO2 to 20psi and let it sit over night. In the morning give the keg a bit of a shake, nothing major but about 30 seconds of agitation. Let it set until the 24 hour mark has passed. At that point in time, turn off the gas and purge the keg. Reverse the lines and restart the gas at serving psi (10psi for me) and you should be ready to go.

Works like a charm!

Back