Kegging recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rau71

Reaction score
The software I use (Beersmith) says I should set my psi to 7.75. How long is that for, if I put it higher will it carbonate faster?

I would use this chart to determine the PSI you should carbonate under. Give it 2 weeks at serving pressure (and temperature) before pulling a pint to check on carbonation.

carbonation_chart-56223.jpg

That is LOW! May be OK, but will take forever to carb.

I would pump it up to 45psi or so and disconnect it (cold)

Re-connect after 3 days to the 7.75 and you will have slight carbonation that will settle out over a day or 3 to the low carbonation you are shooting for.

That is LOW! May be OK, but will take forever to carb.

I would pump it up to 45psi or so and disconnect it (cold)

Re-connect after 3 days to the 7.75 and you will have slight carbonation that will settle out over a day or 3 to the low carbonation you are shooting for.

I was hoping to serve this weekend at about 2.3 or 2.4, will this be possible this way? this is at 33 degrees too.

Did you know that the powers that be (Jackson/Palmer) recommend serving homebrew at 45-50F for wheats/lagers, 50-55F for most ales, and 55-60F for porters/stouts? Any colder, and you stifle malt and hop character pretty severely.

33F is great for Bud Light, but way too cold for homebrew. Just FYI!

I was hoping to serve this weekend at about 2.3 or 2.4, will this be possible this way? this is at 33 degrees too.

It will have some carbonation, but it might not be carbonated fully. Depending on when you put it on the gas at pressure. If it's already been a week, then there's a good chance it will be at carbonation level.

I've had mixed results (at best) with using a higher pressure, purging, and then placing at a lower pressure. My best results are typically using the two week 'set and forget' method. I have a 'spare' spot in my brew fridge for carbonating. I simply put a keg there when another kicks, and carbonate it until a tap opens up (typically 2-4 weeks later).

Planning ahead is more rewarding, IMO.

BTW, I have the beer in the kegs at about 40F. I pour into room temp glasses, and let them rest for at least a few minutes before drinking. I'll have to check to confirm, but those steps gets the beer closer to the temperature range where they are really great.

Did you know that the powers that be (Jackson/Palmer) recommend serving homebrew at 45-50F for wheats/lagers, 50-55F for most ales, and 55-60F for porters/stouts? Any colder, and you stifle malt and hop character pretty severely.

I will up the temp once it is ready to serve, but I have read that beer carbonates better at lower temps.

Low temps are good for carbing - I simply let certain beers warm up for a couple minutes in the glass after I pour them. They get warmer still while I hold them and drink them. It's not like we're doing keg-stands here.

1. 24-36 hours at 30 psi hooked up to the gas, in the kegerator.

2. Purge down to required CO2 volume based on your temperature.
I don't see the need to chill it down further just to raise it up for serving,
especially in the time frame you are looking at.

By the weekend this would get you fairly close.

1. 24-36 hours at 30 psi hooked up to the gas, in the kegerator.

2. Purge down to required CO2 volume based on your temperature.
I don't see the need to chill it sown further just to raise it up for serving,
especially in the time frame you are looking at.

By the weekend this would get you fairly close.

This will work, the problem is, what if you are in a car wreck, what if someone dies, by the time you get back to your brew it is a frothy overcarbonated mess.

It will be there, probably Thursday. Pump it to 44psi, DISCONNECT, leave it 3 days. At that point hook it up to your 7.75 and pull a couple. It will even out over the next day or 2 if it is a hair over or under. If you warm it up, dial up accordingly.

Back