Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozski10

Reaction score
Guys,
I kegged my beer 10 days ago using a third cup of corn sugar and pressurizing the keg for 2 days at 5 psi and stored at 70 degrees for 9 days. Tapped keg today and it's a little flat. At this point can I turn the PSI up to 30 and leave it till morning about 18 hrs? Will that do the trick? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Koz

Nooooo. I never tell anyone to use 30psi. I know it's mentioned all over these forums, but it's a shortcut...and shortcuts seldom make the best beer possible.

Besides...since you already have carbonation, 30psi would end up overcarbing your beer by a lot. I would take a look at some carbonation charts and depending on what temp your beer is, you'll set your co2 at 12-15psi. Leave it for a day or two and you'll be good.

By the way...9 days isn't really enough time to wait before tapping a keg. If you're naturally carbonating, you need to treat it just like bottles and wait for 3-4 weeks before tapping it. That's probably your issue right there.

I agree. 9 days didn't seem right. But that's what the book said. lol Sorry first time kegging. I'm going to check the temp on the fridge now. But I'm going to set at 12 psi right now and check it in a couple days. Thanks for the fast reply. -Koz

Update: I kept the keg for 5 days at 12 psi (38 to 40 degrees) and I'm happy to report it's perfectly carbonated and a very tasty Alpha King Pale Ale Clone. Something tells me this 5 gallon batch will not be around long. -Koz :mug:

you can always chill it, then rock and roll the keg under 12 psi for about 30 minutes :D

I disagree with this. When carbing a keg, rocking or shaking or rolling (whatever) is completely unnecissary. If you put it at 12psi, it will carbonate...why rush it? Rushing beer only gives you an inferior final product.

The problem is...even if your beer carbonates in 2 days with the "shake carb" method...you still have green beer. Letting it settle for a few weeks is the best thing you can do. You'll end up with a perfectly carbonated, balanced beer.

I disagree with this. When carbing a keg, rocking or shaking or rolling (whatever) is completely unnecissary. If you put it at 12psi, it will carbonate...why rush it? Rushing beer only gives you an inferior final product.

The problem is...even if your beer carbonates in 2 days with the "shake carb" method...you still have green beer. Letting it settle for a few weeks is the best thing you can do. You'll end up with a perfectly carbonated, balanced beer.

I don't think they are the same thing, really.

Speed carbing a beer has no impact on the taste of the beer, in my experience. (I split a 10g batch, and did 5 gal each way) ((Not that that makes me an expert!)). Also, rocking a beer at serving pressure should have no negative impact, other than disturbing the sediment. It will speed up the carbonating process. Doing it at 30 PSI just does it faster, and you risk over-shooting the carbonation - Which is a royal PITA

However, neither of these will fix a green beer! Only time can do that. :tank:

OP - If you're in a hurry, you can use a number of methods to speed up the carbonation process. Go ahead and use on if you think you need to - I did! The beer was green, and it kinda sucked, but I was drinking my own beer!
About 3 weeks later the beer was quite good. Had I "Set and forgot" It would have been great beer from the first glass...

The real key is the pipeline. If you're carbing your next brew before you kick the kegs you're serving, set and forget is no hassle at all.

It's always the answer - Make More Beer!:rockin:

delayed post: i should say that i let my kegs age for some time before i'm ready to chill and carb them. green beer isn't a danger, as i've been keg-aging them for a couple of months by the time i quick-carb them

Back