Kegging Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsoxfan24

Reaction score
Lots of questions about kegging...

Does beer continue to condition when it's been cooled and carb at 40 degrees?

If I carb a beer and remove the keg from CO2, how long will that beer be okay in the keg?

If I crash cool in the secondary and transfer to a keg, what pressure should I purge at before setting to the proper CO2 level?

I'm planning on using two 2 tap towers (four taps total), how much beer and gas line will I need per keg? I found a formula but want to see what others are using.

Thanks

wsoxfan24 said:
Lots of questions about kegging...

Does beer continue to condition when it's been cooled and carb at 40 degrees?

If I carb a beer and remove the keg from CO2, how long will that beer be okay in the keg?

If I crash cool in the secondary and transfer to a keg, what pressure should I purge at before setting to the proper CO2 level?

I'm planning on using two 2 tap towers (four taps total), how much beer and gas line will I need per keg? I found a formula but want to see what others are using.

Thanks

yes, the beer will continue to condition while in the keg and cooled. There are some who argue that it will condition slower a colder temps rather than room temp

The beer will be fine in the keg after carb as long as the keg is airtight. I I have had a couple kegs waiting for tap for up to 2 months and they were fine. Just check periodically to see if the pressure is still there and hook up to CO2 to pressurize every now and then.

Don't really understand what you are purging besides the headspace in the keg. You can do with with the same pressure that you will be carbing at. Just hook up the keg and put in the fridge at the desired CO2 pressure, it will equilize and carb in a few weeks.

With my setup, I use at least 6' of beer line at 3/16 ID. The CO2 line ID and length really does not matter. I would recommend making it long enough to hook up a keg outside the freezer so that you can "force carb" and work with the keg as needed.

Thanks for answering all my questions. They're extremely helpful. That's why I love this forum.

The purge thing is just something I wasn't sure about. I've read but don't fully understand it. After fill the corny and capping, if I set the my co2 to 12psi, will that get rid of the oxygen in the left over space. Or do I need to purge or vent the space.

Thanks again.

Back