Kegging PSI Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroT

Reaction score
So this is my first time ever kegging. So far it seems to be working out okay. I can't resist pulling the tap handle every once and a while. I've been force carbing it at 40 degrees at 12 psi for the last 3 days or so. When I started my tank was showing about 900 and now it's showing about 600, and at the 500 mark is where I need to "order gas". I've checked for leaks and am not finding any. To make sure I'm doing this right... I set the regulator for 12psi on both kegs and then let the gas flow. Could my keg itself be leaking?

chances are the gauges are just reading differently. Do you have the tank in the fridge? If so, the gauges won't read quite right. Not a bid deal at all, just carry on. If you are indeed worried about a leak though, just shut off the tank over night and check the gauge in the morning. If the gauge still shows pressure, no leak.

Did you initially hit the kegs with 30+ PSI to seal them? If no, you could have a slow leak through the top that is very hard to detect.

I keep the tank outside of the keezer. It was around 70ish degrees and still is. I just cranked it up to 30 on each side I'll let it sit for 30 minutes that way and then turn it back down. How much pressure should a 5lb c02 tank hold when full? The gauge is showing 550 now... am I supposed to leave the regulator handles that control the gas flow constantly on? Or set the PSI and then turn them so they aren't inline with the hoses essentially shutting off the flow of gas.

The psi has nothing to do with how much CO2 is in the tank. If you have 5 lb of liquid CO2 your psi will be the same if you have 1 lb liquid CO2. If the psi is dropping that means you have no liquid CO2 left and only gas CO2. Meaning your almost out of gas. If you haven't used it for that long then you have a leak. I had the same problem with a 20 lb tank and the leak was from the knob not being turned all the way open.

When I take off the gas line I can hear a hissing coming from the post. If I push down on the topper spring it stops. Could that be my problem or is that normal?

It's not normal, no, but I can't see it causing a leak when the quick disconnect is attached.

When I take off the gas line I can hear a hissing coming from the post. If I push down on the topper spring it stops. Could that be my problem or is that normal?

Well, it isn't normal, but as long as your quick disconnect is firmly connected, it's probably not the source of your system leak...

Cheers!

Back