Kegging next batch directly after previous. Cleaning keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's not needed to soak in PBW. I just rinse it out and do a quick star san flow through the dip tube and then keg the next batch. Right? Hopefully that makes sense

I only do a PBW soak about once every 4 or 5 brews. I start with 1-2 gal of straight hot water. Put the lid on and shake like hell. Dumb and see if sediment is left. If it is I do it again. Then the same process with star san except I hook up a picnic tap to the out post and pump out some sanitizer out of the dip tube.

I have to say...being hella OC I cannot see risking a batch with its cost and time investments to anything less than a stellar packaging treatment.
My kicked kegs always get the hot PBW Mark II treatment followed by a Star San rinse, just for GPs, because how tragic would it be to lose a batch to a sick keg?

Cheers!

I have to say...being hella OC I cannot see risking a batch with its cost and time investments to anything less than a stellar packaging treatment.
My kicked kegs always get the hot PBW Mark II treatment followed by a Star San rinse, just for GPs, because how tragic would it be to lose a batch to a sick keg?

Cheers!
It's funny I used to do paranoid about infections and losing a batch but honestly, once it's time to go in the keg, it's honestly hard to infect it at that point. Lord knows I've tried. Lol

It's funny I used to do paranoid about infections and losing a batch but honestly, once it's time to go in the keg, it's honestly hard to infect it at that point. Lord knows I've tried. Lol

Plus the fact that my crew drinks these 5 gallon batches in less than a week. Half on brew days . The rest get filled in growlers for the weekend. I could understand maybe if the keg was gonna sit for a month or 2.

I suppose if I was kicking kegs in a mere week I would be a heck of a lot looser wrt sanitation regimens. Makes sense.
Otoh, I just poured a glass of the last batch of raspberry hibiscus wheat I kegged...on April 28, 2020. Still wonderful :)

Cheers!

Cheers!

Do you hire out? :)

I do a complete keg break down every time. But I always have a keg or two empty and waiting then. If I could perfectly sync up the keg kick and cold crash then I guess I would have no problem just doing a quick rinse and fill.

I'm with @day_trippr on this. It is just part of my process now. I used to do the full breakdown like @odie but now I just run hot PBW through the posts and leave them installed.

My kegging day always starts out with cleaning any empties. Any that don't get filled right away get rinsed and stored upside down with open lids to dry. I sanitize the kegs as part of the purge and fill process.

I previously satisfied myself with a good rinse, a fairly quick partial-fill Oxi shake and rinse, and then StarSan, usually only removing the beer-side post. But today I happened to stick my hand into a rinsed keg. OMG, there's a substantial layer of skunge on the surface, possibly because I commando dry-hopped? Maybe not much of an infection risk, but... yuck! I'm gonna have to get more serious about cleaning kegs between batches!

I've been fermenting and serving from the same keg. When it kicks I take it out of the keezer and it sits in the shed until the next brewday (or day before), then I release the co2, soak it in hot water and my homemade PBW for a few hours, rinsed, sanitized, and filled with more wort. I usually disassemble the entire keg and pbw + sanitize the individual pieces.

Back