Kegging Mishap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsMan

Reaction score
I just kegged a Robust Vanilla Porter 2 days ago, and realized I didn't lay a CO2 blanket in the tank prior to filling. I was careful not to allow the beer to stir/oxygenate too much while filling, but I guess my questions is:

Should I crack the keg, rack to a bucket, purge the O2 from the tank and leave the CO2 layer like I should, and then rack back to the Keg? Or should I consider it done and let it be?

Thanks guys!

I should note too, after sealing the Keg, I did fill and purge three times.

By transferring and rekegging you would be exposing it to more o2 than you're trying to eliminate. Rdwahahb

Yes, there is no real need to purge the keg of O2 prior to filling.

Think of it in terms of bottling, you don't purge the bottling bucket prior to filling, nor do you purge the bottles prior to filling them.

Filling the keg and then purging the head space a couple times with CO2 will be more than adequate. Additionally, if you naturally carbonate the kegs, the yeast will use the small amount of O2 that remains when they carbonate the beer.

Back