Kegging Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwangnyc

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Are there any good tutorials out on how to keg my homebrew? Do i still have to prime the beer like bottles? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone

Just look at kegging as filling one big arshe bottle. No priming if your intending for it to become a real "keg." You'll look up the volumes and temperature on a chart and set the CO2 tank at that desired pressure. You can prime with corn sugar as you would with bottling, but you'll get some more yeast to settle out in the bottom of the keg and your first glass or two may be yeasty. Most of us rack to the keg after secondary, look up the correct pressure at given temperature and volume and then let it sit for at least a week and done.

Patience is a key factor here. I let mine set a week or maybe 1.5 weeks before I tasted it. eh... it was beer. Then I got kinda busy and no drinking for a bit (12 hours from bottle to throttle), then got a break, and got some beer drinking time. Wow! what a difference. definately a huge difference.:drunk:

hwangnyc said:
Hello everyone!

Are there any good tutorials out on how to keg my homebrew? Do i still have to prime the beer like bottles? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone

Something that might be of benefit can be found on http://www.basicbrewing.com I downloaded all of their podcast to listen to while I'm working in the lab and they cover kegging in pretty good detail. I don't have a video compatible MP3 player but I believe that have a videocast as well. Check it out.

Jeffrey

Don't make the mistake of thinking forced carbonation will speed the aging process. You still need to give it three weeks or so. I keg, then carbonate when it's time. Some people carbonate first, claiming the additional acidity changes the aging process. Probably does, but I don't know of any brewery that bulk ages under pressure and I've never bothered to run a test. Then there are the CAMRA people who don't carbonate, because the additional acidity changes the aging process.

I think it's beer either way.

so david.. you keg first, let it age, then carb it up? Im about to be doing this whole mess and am trying to get down the process..

Say you are serving one beer on tap, and want to add another.. should you change the psi to a higher level? or leave it at the serving level and let the new beer carbinate over a longer time? This is prolly a stupid question, becuase why the heck would you serve your beer at a high psi... but i was just wanting to ask...

Yep & I don't bother changing the psi, but then again, my kegger has three regulators, so I could. I'm just never in a hurry with my ales. Most of the time, I use 7-8 psi, cider 15-20 and soda water 30.

Mikey said:
A few days. What's the rush?

Now don't go scolding him for being antsy like you guys did me. There's nothing wrong with the "set it and forget it" method of carbing (takes about a week), and there's also nothing wrong with cranking up your regulator to about 25PSI and having carbed beer in three days either.

ha.. yeah thanks for going easy on me, but i figured i would just take it easy and wait it out ... I just wanted to make sure that a serving psi is ok as a carbing psi..

Back