kegging help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyBrews

Reaction score
Hey sorry again but what are the dials supposed to read on my c02 regulator. Which one is which? Im just winging it.

The one that reads how much pressure is in your tank is the larger number (200+ psi). The smaller number reads how much pressure is on your keg. I usually serve at 3-5 psi, but that depends on your beverage line length.

The one that reads how much pressure is in your tank is the larger number (200+ psi). The smaller number reads how much pressure is on your keg. I usually serve at 3-5 psi, but that depends on your beverage line length.

So do both dials read the same thing but in diferent mesurment or something?

no the one measures how much co2 is left in your tank the other measures how much your putting into your keg

Think of it as a before your regulator and after your regulator. If you were to not have a regulator and just opened up your CO2 tank, you'd loose all the gas in a few seconds. The regulator takes the normally 600-800 PSI and dials it down (regulates it) to serving psi, normally 3-5 psi. You only adjust the small number with the dial on the regulator. The large number just tell you how much gas is left in your tank. It is informational only.

Think of it as a before your regulator and after your regulator. If you were to not have a regulator and just opened up your CO2 tank, you'd loose all the gas in a few seconds. The regulator takes the normally 600-800 PSI and dials it down (regulates it) to serving psi, normally 3-5 psi. You only adjust the small number with the dial on the regulator. The large number just tell you how much gas is left in your tank. It is informational only.

ok so the top right one im guessing is telling me how much is going in the keg. right? Which numbers am i reading the smller rread ones or bottom bigger ones? thanks

top red smaller numbers or bottom black bigger numbers? sorry

The outer black ones usually read PSI. The inner red ones usually read mm/Hg, which is millimeter of mercury. I'm referencing PSI in my posts.

The outer black ones usually read PSI. The inner red ones usually read mm/Hg, which is millimeter of mercury. I'm referencing PSI in my posts.

yah super confusing. on mine the outer ones are red and inner are black- it does say psi next to the black ones tho so im guessing the inner black ones i should be looking, at they go from 0 to 60, in 10s so that is what i should be setting to 4 or 5? ahrrrrr.

Yeah, because the connect is a one way street. You'll have to wait until it dissolves into the beer. Alternatively, you could bleed a little from the pressure release on top of the keg. If I go over, I usually turn the knob down, bleed the keg just a little until I'm below my desired PSI and then slowly turn pressure back up.

Yeah, because the connect is a one way street. You'll have to wait until it dissolves into the beer. Alternatively, you could bleed a little from the pressure release on top of the keg. If I go over, I usually turn the knob down, bleed the keg just a little until I'm below my desired PSI and then slowly turn pressure back up.

Hey thanks alot for the help man. Do i have to keep keg conected to the tank from now on or can i disconect the co2 at some point while it ages a bit? and when would it be safe to do so? thanks again big time

If you're happy with the carb levels of the beer, I'd definitely suggest disconnecting the CO2 if you want to age the beer. There are a couple of carbing methods, though. If you want to age and carb at the same time, you can set your CO2 tank to the desired carbonation volume (based off temp of the beer) and let it sit at that pressure for a couple of weeks. Your beer will be carbed to the right volume level and will have aged for a little while.

I would strongly suggest looking at this thread on force carbing methods. It explains a few methods of carbing with a keg.

And, no problem! I love sharing my knowledge about this hobby. And it's only knowledge I've gained from these boards myself. So think of it as recycling! Cheers! :mug:

If you're happy with the carb levels of the beer, I'd definitely suggest disconnecting the CO2 if you want to age the beer. There are a couple of carbing methods, though. If you want to age and carb at the same time, you can set your CO2 tank to the desired carbonation volume (based off temp of the beer) and let it sit at that pressure for a couple of weeks. Your beer will be carbed to the right volume level and will have aged for a little while.

I would strongly suggest looking at this thread on force carbing methods. It explains a few methods of carbing with a keg.

And, no problem! I love sharing my knowledge about this hobby. And it's only knowledge I've gained from these boards myself. So think of it as recycling! Cheers! :mug:

Thanks again man, this is my very first batch(lucky me i got a free keg system) and and i want it to be perfect(as much as possible) for that first pour. And hey im glad there is some good people on HBT that are willing to share the knowledge ive had some brewers be complete arrogant ******** to me when asking them questions.

PS I got mad love for athens GA, dubconcious, Ep3, Flight risk, Triz and Tater are all good friends and my band agobi has played there a bunch and had some great turnouts. PEace Nick Agobiproject.com

Latest posts

Back