Kegging for the first time today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to keg for the first time today. I have a very basic setup. 5 gal corny keg with a 5lb CO2 bottle, taprite regulator and picnic faucet. It all fits inside my wine fridge which is dialed down to 40ºF which seems appropriate for a session IPA.

I just want a good procedure for force carbonation. I don't want to screw up and over carbonate, so any advice would be appreciated! I'm assuming I'll want to end up at about 12psi serving pressure? Thanks in advance!

Also, is it a good idea to pressurize when I fell the keg with sanitizer and run it through the beer line and faucet?

Sure it's a good idea! Probably not totally necessary. However if you fill the entire keg with water or sanitizer, and push it all out, you will rid oxygen out of the keg which will definitely help your IPA retain flavor!

Depending on how long your line is, 12psi will probably be a little high. I serve at 10psi with 10 ft lines, if your line is shorter than 10 ft of say 5-8.

Force carb at about 15 psi and up. Session ipa's will be fairly high carbed so don't stress to much about over carbing

Force carbing is an art with many different ways. Check the force carbing page and pick a method you like. Jodell makes a great point about oxygen purge after running keg out. Absolutely run sanitizer and cleaner through all your stuff, at least I do.

If you're willing, absolutely fill the keg with sanitizer as full as you can without obstructing the gas in dip tube. Purge the remaining head space 5, 10, however many times you like with co2. Empty all the sanitizer via your liquid line. You'll now have about an oxygen free keg as your going to get.

Do you plan to rack via the liquid out post on the keg or through the lid?

For force carbonating, I set my regulator at 30 psi for 24 hours and then back it off to 10 psi to finish it off. I do not purge the keg after backing the pressure off. It's usually good to go 2 days after that, but I like to let things condition for few more days before I really get in to it.

Just remember, you don't control flow rate with PSI, you control it with line length. These are some factors to consider in this regard...do a quick google search and you will find some pretty basic formulas to help you decide what the right length of serving tube you need.

I live in Colorado so even elevation plays a factor in the balancing of my keg system.

Purge a few times directly after transfer to get out oxygen in the headspace.

Then 40 psi for 24 hours IF the beer is cold at the time of transfer...if its warm it takes longer
purge and drop to serving pressure 10-12 psi ...drink...easy

I would go colder than 40 deg. Beer in a glass warms fast, might as well start cold...I run at about 36 deg

Back