Kegging for the first time - step by step would be appreciated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcfarlane

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers!

I started brewing a month or so ago, started with all grain, and my second beer just finished fermentation (I took first FG reading tonight and its spot on, taking a second on Wednesday just to be sure). The beer is a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen - and let me tell you it tastes yummy already! I digress....

So this is a two part question -

1. What is the proper carbonation setting for this beer style?

2. Could anyone be so kind as to give me step by step instructions on setting up my Kegging process? I have the regulator/hoses/corney kegs etc.. but frankly I'm clueless as to how to begin. Here is what I UNDERSTAND - but please correct me as I'm certain something is amiss.

A. Clean and sanitize Keg
B.. Cool keg and beer to the temp which they will be served (Is there any specific temp that a keg/beer should be cooled to ideally?)
C. Fill keg with CO2 (How do I do this?)
D. Fill keg with Beer (How do I do this without removing the Co2?)
E. Put both in the fridge - leave alone for a week to fully carb, or roll keg around and drink immediately [expect foam]

So I THINK I have a general understanding of the process - but no idea how to actually execute - insight, step by step instructions, instructional video, and/or advice on what to avoid would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!

cmcfarlane said:
1. What is the proper carbonation setting for this beer style? About 4 volumes

2. Me too! But I've sorta figured it out by trial.
A. Clean and sanitize Keg--yes.
B.. Cool keg and beer to the temp which they will be served (Is there any specific temp that a keg/beer should be cooled to ideally?) depends on style, but looks like many ppl go low- to mid-30s.
C. Fill keg with CO2 (How do I do this?) hook gas line to keg, open valve to add CO2, close valve, vent 02 from "out" post on keg
D. Fill keg with Beer (How do I do this without removing the Co2?) beer will displace CO2
E. Put both in the fridge - leave alone for a week to fully carb, or roll keg around and drink immediately [expect foam]-- that's my understanding also. I went w/ set & forget method.

Hope this helps a bit! Check out stickies, though!

i like to put a little sanitizer in my keg and shake the hell out of it

hook it up to gas and a picnic tap and open up until all sanitizer is gone

siphon from fermenter like normal - avoid splashing etc

fill to or just above the groove inside the keg - keep it below the gas diptube

apply keg lube to lid gasket and seal lid

hit with 30psi - vent air/gas a few times - hit it with 30psi again then place in keezer at target psi

smile and be thankful that you don't have to deal with bottling :mug:

+1 for the stickies!
I know it is a lot of reading, but just about every question you can think of is answered. Combine that with a reasonable set of tools, a little common sense and before you know it you are drinking your very own draft beer!
Have fun!
Jim

Just had my first beer from my keg & new keezer two or three days ago. It's even cooler than I thought it would be.

Of course now I'm conniving to get from 2 taps to four or five (max for my keezer space)... I have seven kegs, just gotta figure out the wiring and such! :rockin:

This video helped me get going with mine. GL to ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back