Kegging/Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
I am about to keg my homebrew for the first time. It is a pale ale that calls for dry hopping. It has been in the primary for a week and a half, and I don't plan on racking to the secondary. I am planning on leaving it in the primary for 3 weeks.
Is there any way to combine the dry-hopping/carbonation time? (Instead of letting the hops sit for a week and then waiting 1+ weeks for the beer to carbonate)
Seems a shame to spend so much time conditioning and not drinking the beer.
Thanks

I am planning on leaving it in the primary for 3 weeks.

If you're determined to let the beer sit in primary that long anyway, it seems like you have plenty of time there to dry-hop before kegging.

[edit] Which admittedly doesn't answer the question, so try this: you can certainly stuff hops into a keg of beer - before, during, or after carbonation...

Cheers!

If you're determined to let the beer sit in primary that long anyway, it seems like you have plenty of time there to dry-hop before kegging.

[edit] Which admittedly doesn't answer the question, so try this: you can certainly stuff hops into a keg of beer - before, during, or after carbonation...

Cheers!

I guess I am wondering which is better for freshness. I have no qualms about dry hopping in the keg, I am just curious as to whether it will impart grassy flavors, or if I will end up with hop leaves in my pours.

Time, temperature and technique matter.

If you keg-hop, use cones in a sanitized muslin bag preferentially versus pellets in nylon bags. And if you keg-hop cold, you can pretty much leave the hops in the keg 'til it kicks, in my experience. Otoh, if keg-hopping warm I would remove the hops after 5 days or so...

Cheers!

Back