Kegging / Dispensing Question (cross post soda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin

Reaction score
Hello,

first off this is a cross post from the soda forum but I figured I pick on the brains here. Sorry if this is "bad".

I am getting ready to do up my first keg of root beer. However I find myself only able to source 3/8" vinyl tubing. I'm curious to know if this can/will still work for dispensing or am I going to have excessive foaming issues or something else entirely?

I live in an area of the world that seems completely void of 3/16" vinyl tubing and what I can find seems to cost $$$$$$ to get it here. I am quite open to suggestions and ideas.

TIA.

Soda is typically dispensed at rather high gas pressure - like in the 25-30 psi range.
A viable rule of thumb for setting up a dispensing system is to use roughly one foot of 3/16" ID line per PSI, so something in the ~25 foot length would work.

Otoh, if you plug a .375" ID into the only line line calculator worth using, you'll find you probably couldn't fit all the line required inside your dispensing system :eek:

Where is this little spot of Heaven On Earth that tubing is so precious?

Cheers!

Thanks Day_Trippr. I am in Southern Alberta, Canada. None of my local hardware stores seem to carry 3/16" vinyl tubing. Most seem to come in 3/4 or 3/8 ... I can find 3/16 on Amazon but at extraordinary prices. I haven't had good success with LHBS either (I did find a carbonator cap there once).

I will work harder at trying to find the 3/16"

I found something at Home Depot ... it was under WATTS refrigerator supply line... its 5/16 x 3/16 x 20ft. I figure if i play with the pressure at dispensing I should be able to make it work.. YIPPEE!!

Back