Kegging cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
Here's the short and skinny: approximately how much should I look at investing into a kegging system? Exclude the fridge, I have a spare. I'm needing 2-4 kegs, all the plumbing and any other associated "stuff". I would like to do it the right way but I don't object to buying pieces one at a time in order to spread out the cost. Thanks in advance.

A quick look at Kegconnection (great place to buy keg stuff) for a bare bones setup puts a 4 keg system at a little under $400. That's with the 4-keg basic kit with picnic taps, 4 pin lock kegs, and a 5 lb CO2 tank. If you want to move up to fixed taps rather than picnic taps, you'll need an additional 4 shanks and faucets. Cheap standard faucets run about $15, while Perlick faucets run $40 for SS and $23 for chrome (highly recommend the Perlicks, whether you go SS or chrome). Shanks run another $13-20 a piece depending on chrome or stainless and the length. The kit I linked to before runs all 4 kegs at the same psi, so if you want different carb levels you'll have to upgrade the regulator, and might want to get a bigger CO2 tank depending on how close and cheap the co2 refill places around you are.

Edit: Forgot, these are for pin-lock kegs, which are a little shorter and fatter (but ~$10-20 cheaper) than ball-lock kegs. Double check your fridge space before getting them to make sure they'll fit.

Back