Kegging/conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
So I was wondering. If you put your brew in bottles and let it condition for a few weeks, it usually taste better with age (depending on the beer ).
How do you condition your brew if you are using kegs?
Do you carbonate it, then let it sit in the keg for a couple of weeks?
Do you let it sit in your secondary longer?( or just leave it in the primary, this seems to be a popular topic)
How do you get that beer aged if you are kegging?

I condition in the keg.

Just like with bottling, when fermentation is complete, keg the beer. I usually hook up a gas line, blow off any oxygen in the keg with CO2, and set the regulator to about 4-6 psi for about 3 weeks while in the kegerator at serving temp.

There are obviously many other ways to do this. Many people force carb their kegs over 1-3 days & then drink, but I like to force it slowly and use the 3 week wait as my conditioning period for most ales.

I just use corn sugar and let it naturally carbonate and age in the keg. Alternatively, you could force-carb and let it age a few weeks at room temperature. Not much different than bottles (other than the significant time savings in kegging vs bottling).

Back