Kegging CO2 - long enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stavale8099

Reaction score
So I have an oatmeal stout that I kegged last week. It took forever to carbonate ( I had it at room temp) @ 30 PSI so I found room in my fridge and stuck it in there. After 2 days it was delicious.
My question is...It was recommended to me that I carbonate at 30 PSI for 2ish days..ok...but then serving PSI around 10 PSI....btu when I serve the beer if I'm not VERY slow with the dispenser (tap attatched to about a foot of 3/8" hose to keg I just blow out foam. Nothing but foam. I have to either go really slow, or completely depressurize teh keg then serve. I have it sitting right now at about 5 PSI which is what I was serving at last night, but if I wasn't extremely slow with the beer just dripping from the tap then it was just foam.

Explanation ??? Someone told me that at that PSI and that size hose that I'd need like 8 ft of it to not blow foam.
Thanks

So I have an oatmeal stout that I kegged last week. It took forever to carbonate ( I had it at room temp) @ 30 PSI so I found room in my fridge and stuck it in there. After 2 days it was delicious.
My question is...It was recommended to me that I carbonate at 30 PSI for 2ish days..ok...but then serving PSI around 10 PSI....btu when I serve the beer if I'm not VERY slow with the dispenser (tap attatched to about a foot of 3/8" hose to keg I just blow out foam. Nothing but foam. I have to either go really slow, or completely depressurize teh keg then serve. I have it sitting right now at about 5 PSI which is what I was serving at last night, but if I wasn't extremely slow with the beer just dripping from the tap then it was just foam.

Explanation ??? Someone told me that at that PSI and that size hose that I'd need like 8 ft of it to not blow foam.
Thanks

You need 3/16" beer line, and about 10-12 feet of that to dispense without foam, assuming the beer is carbonated properly (not under or over carbed).

Make sure your lines are not warmer than the beer itself. That causes foaming big time.

Excellent thanks guys - Yep I have it all in the fridge. I'll get what Yooper recommends!!!

Back