Kegging bought beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenc_hmfc

Reaction score
hi, im new to this sort of thing and was wondering if it is ok to fill a corny keg with a beer from a store?

I dont make my own beer just yet so could i keg beer from a store and be able to dispense it at the tap?

I dont know if this is possible but seems like a good idea untill i start making my own beer.

Thanks

stevenc_hmfc said:
hi, im new to this sort of thing and was wondering if it is ok to fill a corny keg with a beer from a store?

I dont make my own beer just yet so could i keg beer from a store and be able to dispense it at the tap?

I dont know if this is possible but seems like a good idea untill i start making my own beer.

Thanks

Its possible although if you are just pouring in cans/bottles you may introduce oxygen that may cause the beer to go stale quicker....if you choose to do this I would purge the keg first and gentle pour the beers into the keg as close to the bottom as possible to avoid aeration...if you drink it fast enough I see little problem in doing this especially if just a cheap BMC product. Not sure its worth the hassle though.

thanks very much for the quick reply, this is very helpful to me.

Yeah i was planning to pour the beer in with a long funnel or something similar so it was underneath the surface so it does not agitate the beer so much.

You suggest i should purge the keg first, what pressure best and what pressure would be best for when the keg is in use?

thanks

stevenc_hmfc said:
thanks very much for the quick reply, this is very helpful to me.

Yeah i was planning to pour the beer in with a long funnel or something similar so it was underneath the surface so it does not agitate the beer so much.

You suggest i should purge the keg first, what pressure best and what pressure would be best for when the keg is in use?

thanks

Purging the keg will help remove some of that o2 that will potentially cause stale taste. I would keep the keg at about 11-14 psi.

stevenc_hmfc said:
is 30 psi ok for purging?

You could use 30psi but wouldn't go much over as really the idea is just to remove the oxygen from the tank so after filling your keg with co2 to whatever setting it maybe, release it using the release valve.

Why don't you buy a keg and put it in you kegerator? Cheaper than the stuff in the bottles.

i live in Scotland and cant seem to find anywhere that will sell a keg for private use, so untill i start making my own this will do i think.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to link up with some other homebrewers in you area. Group brews and buddy brews are great for folks just starting out.

What's holding you back from brewing your own batch? If you already have the keggorator set up, making up your first batch should be really easy. All you need to do is get a plastic 5 gallon water jug, a rubber stopper with a hole in it, a length of tubing, and a no boil kit.

Sanitize the jug (aka carboy) with some bleach, rinse well, pour in no boil kit, dilute with water, add yeast, put in stopper, run a piece of the tubing from the stopper to a glass of water (this is your air lock), wait 10 days, use rest of tubing that you've sanitized with bleach and rinsed to transfer the beer from carboy to keg and you've got your beer!

I guess my point is that you don't need to wait till you have the cash to buy all the fancey brewing equipment that's out there. You can start simple and still make good beer.

right well the thing is i have just started learning about all this homebrew stuff and want to make sure i know as much as i can before i do it

Ive found out the best way to learn this stuff is by doing it. Get some food grade buckets and just brew as much as possible. Reading is reading and doing is doing. Youre going to "mess up" at first but the great thing about brewing is that it probably won't really effect youre beer noticably. But I will say that the more I brew the better my beer gets. Practice is the key just like any hobby. I second Drifters suggestion, just by a real cheap kit and either do a no boil kit or do a small boil in a stock pot and add dry malt extract at the end.

Back