kegging belgians

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
Hello all!!! i have two belgians that i've recently kegged. One is a quad and the other a tripel/IPA. They've cleared out really well. Actually too well. Do want a little yeast in suspenson or is better to have them crystal clear. All the belgians i've had have been a little foggy. Thanks for the imput.

If you keg them they are going to end up clear from everything dropping out of suspension. If you want it cloudy, swirl the keg a little.

Well i know that i guess what i'm asking is how does everyone else here drink them. Do you all let them clear or swirl up the yeast every now and again.

Yea i know that but i decided to keg de to the fact that it's just so much easier and i wanted to fill my 12 tap keggorator. So i just wanted to know if people who kegged belgians shook them up every know and again.

Can't say that I would keg something like that. They are bottle conditioned for a reason. The yeast is very much a main part of the beer.
But if I was to keg it I would just drink it cloudy the first couple pours, then clear as it clears. If it being cleared effect the flavor too much i would shake it and then vow to not keg any more belgians. Shaking the keg everytime you wanna pull a pint would be a huge PITA.

But is summary, try it both ways, see what you like.

I personally would drink my belgians clear. I actually crash cooled my tripel before kegging to clear it up. Even bottled belgians I wouldn't pour out the bottom of the bottle.

How much flour do you add for a 5 gallon batch? Also, do you make some sort of roux out of it with water to incorporate so it doesn't clump?

A tablespoon or two mixed in warm water, added at flameout. Permanent starch haze that won't drop. :D

I personally would drink my belgians clear. I actually crash cooled my tripel before kegging to clear it up. Even bottled belgians I wouldn't pour out the bottom of the bottle.

Thank you that was what i was hoping for. There is a slight flavor difference in my cleared beer but i think it's more from the beer maturing and reaching the right carbonation. Thanks for the input i appreciate it.

i keg (and then usually bottle) my belgians and yes, they do come out pretty clear.

i think they taste great, just because there isn't yeast in suspension doesn't mean they lose any of the flavors that come from the yeast during fermentation. i suppose the yeast itself does have some flavor to it, but not anything that i've missed.

I've a Dubbel bubbling away right now and as much as it pains me, I'm planning on bottling rather than kegging.

Most HB Belgian strongs I've tasted have suffered from one common thing...lack of yeast complexity as a result of being kegged and clearing too much.

There is something ceremonial about cracking a Belgian and pouring it into a large goblet style glass...yeast and all.

Latest posts

Back