Kegging, and help with hops....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
Today was my first pour from my simple keg system( co2, to keg, to picnic tap)and let me say...I’m loving it. My first poor, I only opened it up a little, and got a lot of head at first. My third pour, I just opened it up and ran with it. To me I got a good head ( 1 inch or so). So I’m thinking that pouring slowly is not good, but have read the first few would be iffy. I’m doing the setting and leaving process. Co2 set to 12, temp 40 degrees F, 5 feet of 1/4 clear hose.

Help with hops... the receipe I followed called for 1 oz cascade dry hop 4 days. I get a lot of grapefruit flavor.. what hops would you suggest for more of a orange flavor? I like the grapefruit but would like a little bit of of a orange fruit flavor in it as well. Hop schedule is as follow:

1 oz Centennial-60
.50 oz Cascade-30
.50 oz Fuggle- 15
.5 oz cascade 15
.5 oz cascade 1
.5 oz Fuggle 1
1 oz cascade - dry hop 4 days

if you open the tap just a little you will get a lot of foam. Pull it fully open and control the head by pouring the beer down the side of the glass until nearly full. If you want more head, let it splash into the bottom just a little before tipping the glass to pour down the side.

I like the grapefruit flavor that Cascade imparts when used as a dry hop but to make that really pop, I use a mixture of Cascade and Citra as I think Citra enhances the grapefruit.

When I want more of an orange aroma, I use Amarillo or maybe a Citra and Amarillo combination. If I wanted a little more I might put some crushed coriander into the last of the boil and maybe some orange peel (dried, available at most LHBS) or fresh orange zest.

In your recipe you have 1/2 ounce of Cascade at 30 minutes. While a little of the flavor will remain, most of the impact of that Cascade will be toward bittering.

Sounds like you have the kegging figured. Always open the picnic tap all the way. You should try hopping your serving vessel too. I usually suspend a hop bag with an ounce or so of Cascade or citra in my IPA keg till it's drained.

Sounds like you have the kegging figured. Always open the picnic tap all the way. You should try hopping your serving vessel too. I usually suspend a hop bag with an ounce or so of Cascade or citra in my IPA keg till it's drained.

When you hop in your keg, how do you close your bag/ and hang it.

I agree with Rm-mn. You could get rid of the 30 min addition and move it to 60 or drop it. I like a 60 min, 10 min and 0 min additions for my hoppy beers, but thats me and there are lots of ways to make good beer. Enjoy the keg system. I love mine but I never dry hopped in the keg.

Last edited:
I agree with Rm-mn. You could get rid of the 30 min addition and move it to 60 or drop it. You didn’t say what style of beer you are brewing, but a 1oz dry hop is not enough for some styles and too much for others . If your just doing your own thing, I would dryhop with 2 oz.

Receipe is is a goose island IPA...
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/28343/goose-island-ipa-clone. ..

Suggestions are always welcome... it’s been carbing for 12 days fermented at 68f with so- 04, dry hopped at day 10, then dropped to 33f, for 2 days. Then kegged for 2 weeks at 12 psi.

Not sure if adding another once of cascade will help. It has a very strong grapefruit flavor

I would like to decrease the grapefruit, and add some orange flavor

Back