Kegging a Wild Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsta Porter

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the input.

Is anyone kegging their wildbrews? To date I have bottled them.

I am leery to keg to prevent contamination of future batches of non-wild beer.

I suppose I could dedicate a keg and faucet to wild beers as a go around.

All the Best

Hello,

Thanks for the input.

Is anyone kegging their wildbrews? To date I have bottled them.

I am leery to keg to prevent contamination of future batches of non-wild beer.

I suppose I could dedicate a keg and faucet to wild beers as a go around.

All the Best
I've kegged all the wildbrews/bretts I've made and never had any problems. I even reuse the plastic buckets, racking canes, and such for non-wildbrews. Of course, I usually only make ales, not lagers and the only beers I make which ferment more than 2-4 weeks are the wildbrews/bretts.

For the short term fermentations you are giving the pitched yeast such a numerical advantage over anything still living in your equipment after sterilization, that I sincerely doubt it make a difference. I could see it might make a difference for beers which age for longer or if you are trying to keep a pure yeast strain. However, YMMV.

I haven't kegged anything wild yet, but a normal cleaning/sanitizing regime should take care of everything. You could dedicate anything replaceable to the funky stuff, but I'm not sure thats necessary if you clean well.

I haven't kegged anything wild yet, but a normal cleaning/sanitizing regime should take care of everything. You could dedicate anything replaceable to the funky stuff, but I'm not sure thats necessary if you clean well.

THIS. The bugs aren't indestructable. I've kegged several batches of my Spurhund Zunge without infecting subsequent batches.

This is sorta related, so I figured I should mention it. I made a double wit using wild yeast and bottled it. I figured double grain bill + double hops = double carbonation which works out to about 5 volumes (high but not insane right?) Well, I got bottle bombs, the wild yeast are making a lot more CO2 than domestic yeast. I've used this strain before and haven't had this problem except this is a new recipe I'm trying. Be carefull!

OK, that makes sense- A larger recipe would have more food that is not fermentable from the standard wit sach. yeasts, and thus more food for the wild yeast to chow on, thus taking longer to fully ferment and pushing more CO2. I am not an expert in the arena, but it goes in line with what I have heard.

Back