Kegged soda driving me crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scsi

Reaction score
Ok so I've been trying to dispense dr pepper from a corny and failing at every turn. It's driving me crazy.

I was using a Perlick to serve, with 30' of beer line at 35psi.... Still would lose it's carb as soon as it was dispensed.

So I bought the soda faucet from CHI that has the built in regulator.... Thinking I could cut down the line... The regulator does reduce the flow, but it's still coming out foamy and flat.

I have memories of working a soda fountain with these faucets and a pile of cornies years ago... A pull and the soda would come out clean.

Has anyone gotten a corny and faucet working? What did you do?? I'm getting discouraged now.

Any ideas??? Im all out of ideas.

I've made a cream soda and a root beer. The root beer is currently in my corny in the keezer and is carbonated and holds the carbonation without any gas on it. I just use the cobra picnic tap for dispensing so I can't help you with the Perlick. I made it a while back so I don't remember exactly but I think I carbed it high for a long time. I was told soda is much tougher to carb and takes a lot more gas. I probably did 40-50 PSI for a few weeks. You could also try the add gas and shake method. Good luck.

Sometime in January, I mixed the syrup and water, put it on 35psi and shook the hel out of it for about half an hour... It's been sitting at 35F on 35psi since.

I'm starting to think 35 is my unlucky number.

This is the faucet I just installed today.... Pricey little bugger, all plastic too.

Aaaand here is the pic ...

image-3335260395.jpg

I just dispense my soda with picnic taps, but it should be the same. I use 25 feet of line at about 30-35 psi in a 38 degree fridge. That worked fine for me. I've never used the soda faucet, but I assume it's about the same. Are you opening the tap fully?

Yooper said:
Are you opening the tap fully?

yup, sure am. I have the built in regulator on the faucet almost all the way closed.... Maybe I need more line before this new faucet?

So on the Perlick, I had this poly hose from mcmaster. The soda would turn to bubbles pretty quickly in that line. Later, I discovered I had ordered moisture resistant vacuum hose.... So I took that off and replaced it with 10' of beer line on this soda faucet. Hmm.

yup, sure am. I have the built in regulator on the faucet almost all the way closed.... Maybe I need more line before this new faucet?

So on the Perlick, I had this poly hose from mcmaster. The soda would turn to bubbles pretty quickly in that line. Later, I discovered I had ordered moisture resistant vacuum hose.... So I took that off and replaced it with 10' of beer line on this soda faucet. Hmm.

I needed 25' of beerline on the soda. I'm using some McMaster-Carr tubing, but it is fine and works well. It was $.15/foot, that's why I bought it instead of beverage line. Ten feet of beer line is WAY inadequate!

I just dispense my soda with picnic taps, but it should be the same. I use 25 feet of line at about 30-35 psi in a 38 degree fridge. That worked fine for me. I've never used the soda faucet, but I assume it's about the same. Are you opening the tap fully?

why so much line? i don't make soda. but my beer line is not nearly that long, probably five feet at the most

Well it was 30' when I had it on the unregulated perlick. Now it's 10' of vinyl type beer line from AHS (it's what I had on hand)...

I guess I'll order some of the stuff you got and give it a shot. And just drink beer in the meantime ;)

beer might not be the way to get your soda to carb, but it will solve your problems. its been solving mine all afternoon.

why so much line? i don't make soda. but my beer line is not nearly that long, probably five feet at the most

Because the soda is at 30 psi, while the beer is at 11 psi. You need lots more line for that much pressure- otherwise your soda will come out like a firehose!

k that makes sense. another stupid question. why does it take so much more pressure to carbonate?

thank you:) also thank you for changing your avatar back. i know its not really you. but i like to think thats what you look like, and not like a foot ball player. (and i fear change :()

Well ok, maybe I'm just impatient. I took a few more pulls off of the new soda faucet today... The first second or so of the pour is foam, but then it cleans up pretty nicely.

It's not perfect, but its much better now.

Back