Kegged my frist batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstring78

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch yesterday. It was a Coopers Dark Ale kit. I followed the directions pretty much to a "T". Including the addition of white granulated sugar.
I'm going to carbonate it slowly over the next week to prevent over-carbonation as well as to age it a bit more.
Last night when I tried a little bit after I first kegged it I noticed that it had a very noticable cidery flavor.
I tried a little bit more today and noticed that there was quite a noticeable difference in the cidery flavor. It had reduced quite a bit.
Does the carbonation change the taste of the beer that much? I realize that after just one night the beer isn't really carbonated that much/at all, but after a week will the carbonation change the taste?

I think it is pretty unlikely that the taste of the actual beer changed much overnight. The amount of settled yeast will definitely change over the first couple of beers drawn however.

Back