Kegged my beer next morning all leaked out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djanvk

Reaction score
Kegged a batch on a corny keg the next morning it was all over the fridge and garage floor. Is this due to a possible bad seal, are they easy to change?

Yep, bad or broken seal somewhere. I've had that happen a couple of times. Get some keglube and wax those seals occasionally. Even do the poppets... I've had a few poppets go bad.

Keep a bunch of extra parts (o-rings, poppets) so when you you see one that doesn't look good you don't hesitate to toss it. Better than losing 5g of beer and your hard work and hopes and dreams, etc.

I've done that before as well. It'll also happen at high PSIs at the serving connections! Cheap chrome taps/plastic picnic taps aren't designed to handle >30 PSI.

I've done that before as well. It'll also happen at high PSIs at the serving connections! Cheap chrome taps/plastic picnic taps aren't designed to handle >30 PSI.

You might be right here as I did have my picnic tap hooked up, that was a thought I had.

I'm probably going to have to fill it with h2o and throw some pressure on it to make sure.

Grab a spray bottle of water or starsan, pressurize to about 25-30 psi, and if you can't hear any hissing, start spraying all your connections and look for the bubbles.

I found that the picnic taps are good to a little under 30 PSI if the serving lines are just connected to the barb, and they are good to a little under 40PSI if you have a nice tight worm clamp on the connection. Anything above that, they will definitely leak beer and CO2.

When I had my leak, it was from trying to quick carb a keg at 30 PSI and the tubing/tap connection had a slow drip overnight from too much pressure. That was a SA Latitude 48 Simcoe clone that was really tasty :(

Yep, bad or broken seal somewhere. I've had that happen a couple of times. Get some keglube and wax those seals occasionally. Even do the poppets... I've had a few poppets go bad.

Keep a bunch of extra parts (o-rings, poppets) so when you you see one that doesn't look good you don't hesitate to toss it. Better than losing 5g of beer and your hard work and hopes and dreams, etc.

Do you have a good source of supply for spare parts? Some place with cheap shipping?

Back