Kegged first extract and tasted good week 1, week 2 more bitter/alcoholy taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadBrew

Reaction score
For my first batch I brewed a sweetwater IPA clone. After kegging the beer tasted decent compared to the real IPA, same hoppy taste but with fruitier taste than original. Pleased with the first batch ever. A week later tried the beer again and now it has a stronger bitter taste to it, almost like real alcoholy taste. Has anyone experienced this or know what causes this?

So can a beer go from good, to bad, to good again? What causes this change?

So think I figured out the issue. Even though I used a muslin bag to filter the dry hopped secondary in the keg I guess after a week of sitting in keezer the remaining particles dropped. This caused all my beer to taste bitter/alcoholy since I was pulling from the bottom of the keg. I have since "drank the bottom" out of the keg and back to original flavor. Anyone else experienced this?

I cold crash and rack from above. Doesn't really answer your question, but short of a sanitized grain bag over the racking cane, I got nothin'.

I cold crashed for 7 days and used muslin bag around siphon but I guess with pellets the fine particles is the downside.

Back