Kegged beer WAY too foamy.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjk49202

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I kegged a dubbel on 5/20 and set the regulator to 30 psi at 64F. I hooked the keg to the kegerator to see how it's coming along and the only thing that came out was foam. After pouring pretty much all foam and some beer I tasted to actual beer. The actual beer was flat. What gives? Should I just leave it in the kegerator at a cooler temp to see if the beer actually carbonates? It almost has a little bit of a cidery aftertaste. Does that come into play somehow? I would really hate to dump this beer but I don't want to drink flat beer. :mad:

CO2 does not stay in solution well at warm temperatures. The cooler the beer is the more CO2 will stay in the beverage. Your beer will continue to produce foam until you get it down to cooler temps. Get it into the kegerator, and don't leave it at the high setting for more than 24 hours before you start checking your carbonation. To check the carbonation turn the gas down to serving pressure at 10 psi-ish to tap the beer or you will still get foam due to the beer being pushed out of the keg to fast.

30psi is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too high!

You should really set it in the kegerator at serving temp (~40-50 depending on your taste), set the reg to ~12psi, then forget it for 2 weeks. You can cheat and leave it at 30 for 24 hours, but no longer than that. When you go to serve, depending on your line length, you will want to turn the pressure down to around 10 or lower.

At 30psi, you are overcarbing your beer. By serving at 30psi, you are pushing it out way too fast and knocking out all of the carbonation. High carbonation can give it a "cidery" bite.

I hate to make it seem like I'm actually bringing the beer out of the keg at 30 psi, just carbing it. But, like you mentioned, I will leave it in the kegerator at a lower psi. I honestly didn't really think about the high temp. not allowing the beer carb. That's why ****ing love this forum!

where to start...did you taste it before putting into the keg? you should chill the keg so the CO2 absorbs into the beer. 30psi is ok to quick carb, but not recommended until you know your system and even then only for 36-48hrs to jumpstart 40F beer to 2ish volumes. then you want to serve much lower...maybe 10-12psi. if you are serving at 30psi...foam. How long are your lines? if they are less then 5'...foam. good luck, but my advice is to use the search tab and research problems/solutions there. OR give all of your info, so we have a better idea...

i.e. kegerator type, line length, temp, tank, pressure.

goos luck!
cheers :mug:

i generally carb mine to about 15 to room condition (about 68). i put it in the kegerator about a week before i want it at about 1 psi above where i want it to be ( usually 11-12 ). when i start to drink i tone it down that last psi
Winner.gif

For others having foam issues.........

Often when it seems that our customers have done everything right and are still getting foamy pours it is because they allow their hoses to droop. When the beer line comes off the top of the keg and then dips way down it causes the beer to speed up on the way down and then it has to fight gravity on the way back up to the faucet. This speed/resistance scenario can be avoided by coiling the excess hose around the top of the keg so there is more or less only uphill flow. This will also help keep the gas from accumulating in areas which essentially causes rapids in the line.

Also try and avoid washing the beer line with hot water because it may cause ripples in the line.

Keg Cowboy Kegerators
2017 1/2 S. Shepherd
Houston TX. 77019

(281) 772-2070

www.KegCowboy.Com

Also try and avoid washing the beer line with hot water because it may cause ripples in the line.
www.KegCowboy.Com

Always something new to learn. I was unaware of the problem with hot water. When I clean I often run hot water from the keg through the line, then follow it up with room temp starsan.

That's interesting, Kegcowboy. I have never heard that, but I'm gonna give it a try. I usually have mostly foam for the first couple pours, but then it settles and is fine. Maybe trying your idea will eliminate the first couple glasses of foam?

For others having foam issues.........

Often when it seems that our customers have done everything right and are still getting foamy pours it is because they allow their hoses to droop. When the beer line comes off the top of the keg and then dips way down it causes the beer to speed up on the way down and then it has to fight gravity on the way back up to the faucet. This speed/resistance scenario can be avoided by coiling the excess hose around the top of the keg so there is more or less only uphill flow. This will also help keep the gas from accumulating in areas which essentially causes rapids in the line.

Keg Cowboy Kegerators
2017 1/2 S. Shepherd
Houston TX. 77019

(281) 772-2070

www.KegCowboy.Com

and i didn't realize that about drooping lines, but it sure makes sense
nosebleed.gif

I have a soild 6' of line in my kegerator. I initially had a foam problem w/ system because i only had 3' of line. Since then I had not had any problems just coiling up the 6' of line and calling it good. Until now, but it seems like more of a temp. problem then a line problem.

With the exception of our glycol tower systems the first couple of pours tend to be much foamier than those that follow. That being said you should not see an entire glass of foam on the first pour unless you have moved your keg in the last day or so.

Flat Foamy Beer????? Did your diptube fall off maybe?

If the diptube fell off, how would anything besides CO2 come out? On my kegs, there's a lip at the top that has an o-ring between the lip and the top of the post. I'm thinking if the diptube fell off, it most likely broke, which would surprise me, since mine are pretty solid.

Good point on the dip tube. I guess it would have to be just a loosely mounted dip tube to still pull beer. Anyway call anytime 281-888-0507 and we will try our best to diagnose you can also just post here and I will try to get back to quickly. - JW

Latest posts

Back