Kegged beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
I made a stout that I wanted to age until August but company came and I went ahead and tapped it early. There is over half of it left in a 3 gallon keg. If I just shut the CO2 off and close the valve will the beer and carbonation be ok for a few months? I would think worse case scenario would be that it would go flat and need to recarb but I'd like to make sure...thanks

I think you're fine on the headspace since you're fully carbed and aging. I would store it cold. You still have over half and August will be a real treat.

What build said. With CO2 in the headspace you're fine, especially for a stout. With an IPA you'd see some reduction in hoppiness probably, but for that beer, go for it. That'll taste really good come August.

I made a stout that I wanted to age until August but company came and I went ahead and tapped it early. There is over half of it left in a 3 gallon keg. If I just shut the CO2 off and close the valve will the beer and carbonation be ok for a few months? I would think worse case scenario would be that it would go flat and need to recarb but I'd like to make sure...thanks

make sure it's CO2 and no oxygen there (maybe purge it a few times).
And make sure it doesn't leak too bad (so you don't end up with oxygen in headspace after 3 months.

Having said that, some small amount of oxidation is actually appropriate for strong stouts (cherry flavor etc.)

Will it be held at ambient aging temperature (~65F), at cellar temperatures (~50F) or at serving temperatures (35-40F)?

The beer should be fine unless you store it at some ridiculous temperature. The carbonation level (and headspace pressure) will change depending on the storage temperature. The CO2 shouldn't go away. It will re-equalize right to where it is now upon chilling (or warming) back to your serving temperature without needing to be on the gas. This assumes that your keg doesn't leak.

Back