Kegerators!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy a (most likely used) 14.8 freezer. Here are a few questions for anyone with the know-how:

1. I've seen a lot of kegerators with collars, if I'm only putting a 5# co2 bottle on the hump and then kegs/carboys in the main section, do I need a collar?

2. Can I get the temp of the freezer to the ideal 42f with the factory model or do I need to add some kind of temp. controller (ranco)?

3. If I DON'T make a collar, are taps better drilled through the side of the freezer or is a tower better to install on top?

Thanks for any help with this!

:mug:

People like the collar because then you don't have to drill holes in the freezer itself, making the process reversible. If you have enough height already, and you don't care about the holes then go ahead and skip the collar. Like Shooter said though, I would go with a tower because drilling through the walls is risky business.

Back