Kegerator vs beer cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eltomek

Reaction score
I was about to build a free-standing kegerator to keep 2 Pepsi kegs cold, with beer tower on top of that and so on.

But I just found out (sic!) the dry and water beer coolers that look pretty neat and started to think that maybe that would be a better option. I like this one for instance: http://www.lindr.cz/products/pygmy-25k-exclusive-2x-tap

Since I have no experience with kegging, I'd like to ask what pros and cons of kegerator vs. cooler are for casual (a beer or two everyday) drinking (for parties pros and cons will be different I think).

Kegerator
pros:
- may be cheaper, especially the DIY one
- beer stays cooled down most of the time (but then energy consumption might be a concern)

cons:
- hard to find a fridge that fits 2 kegs without damaging the fridge interior

Cooler:
pros:
- works only when needed, powering it on for 5 minutes before serving
- cheaper to buy than an off-the-shelf kegerator

cons:
- beer is stored room temperature, this might impact its condition
- water coolers probably need the water to be changed regularily
- warm beer is more prone to foam than the cooled down one (is that the case?)

I picked up a used one of those that I use with kegged wine. How much are they by you? They are A LOT more expensive in the US than a kegerator or small fridge.

You summed up the pro's and con's pretty well. The big one is that you are storing the beer cold or at room temperature. I'm not sure what you mean by water coolers. The faucets have flow controls, which will help with some of the foaming, but I don't think as well as balanced kegerator. The faucets are rear sealed, which is a negative because they can start to stick.

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding exactly how this operates. Does one install this on a countertop, run the lines from a room temperature keg through a chiller and out the tap cooled?

If that is how it works, it functions as mechanically cooled jockey box. To the con s I would add lower available carbonation levels. Cooler beer has the ability to hold more carbonation. Pros, you can switch out kegs at will and drink partials more readily.

Back