Kegerator or Glycol Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAman6815

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hope everyone is getting some brew days in during these stressful times. I hope to get some guidance here. I recently saved a good bit of money to make a splashy homebrew purchase but, can't decide between a Kegco dual tap kegerator or the Ss Brewtech glycol chiller 3/8 horsepower. I'm leaning toward the kegerator because I've only been brewing for 2 years and I'm getting sick of bottling but, I know that cold side temperature control helps take your brewing to the next level. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

If you already have fermentation control of some sort I would move into kegging. It will give you more joy than the glycol.

Glycol is really just a end of hobby toy in my opinion. It doesn’t offer anything that a freezer can’t offer other than possible space savings.

I have a glycol setup to save some space. It’s the only benefit I get from it.

You didn't really specify what you might use the chiller for, other than "cold side temperature control," but if it's really just fermentation temperature control you're talking about then there are other ways of addressing that. There is, however, only one antidote for the bottling blues and that's kegging. Get the kegerator.

I vote kegerator. The kegerator I bought is a keg king . It has the fan built in as well as wide temp adjustments from mid 30 - 80 I believe. I eventually made a glycol chiller . The kegerator has been a great investment though as I hated bottling.

Definitely a kegging setup over a glycol unit. There are many ways to regulate ferm temps, but only a few ways to tap beer.

Now, I'd build a kegerator or keezer rather than buying one. Unless you want no more than 2 or 3 kegs on tap at a time.

As much as I want a glycol chiller to control to fermentation, id go with a kegerator, because i already have one lol. First piece of advice get good taps, honestly invaluable now that i have some time with it.

If you're a bit handy or know someone who's handy and can help you (although that kind of help needs to remain on the back burner for a while), you can build a keezer/kegerator with superior lines, shanks, faucets, etc. for about the same as a commercial one would run you, with the provision of serving 4-6 beers if you want.

It also allows you to make some keen choices as to what tank size (20# vs. 5#) and regulator (double body!) to get. There's quite a bit more to homebrew kegging than just filling a kegerator with bought commercial kegs of beer.

I'll play devil's advocate to island here . I think keezer wise yes , but a decent kegerator I'm not sure . When I was looking at building I priced all the stuff out . A new refrigerator for the size I wanted was minimum 250$ . Then you add the tower , faucets , shanks , fittings , lines , a fan (which is a must imo) , temp controller , co2 bottle and a regulator.

Now you have to make sure you dont bust any lines when building it . Some I've seen you have to modify the inside of the door . When I added up the total cost I wasnt saving enough imo to take the time to piece it out and build it . I paid about 500$ for the kegerator, that was everything except a keg . Now I did have to set up the tower and faucets , and I had it shipped because I wasnt close enough to drive so total for me was about 600$ .

I could have looked at a cheaper fridge when I was pricing them out but I dont buy stuff I dont like . Overall I am very happy with my set up . Only thing u would change is getting the 3 tap tower instead of the 2 tap. I could change out the tower , but a picnic tap does the job when I have 3 kegs ready at one time . If I were to build I'd go keezer .

I built a glycol chiller for about 300$. If I could do it , anybody can

I'll play devil's advocate to island here
I'll take your bait...

For building table height kegerators it's indeed slim picking to get a good, comparable quality unit of the right size for 2 or 3 kegs. You may not save much, likely spend more when all is done, but with your choice of stainless faucets and shanks (over chrome plated brass) and appropriate length and quality beer lines.

Instead of a table height fridge you could get a (small) chest freezer, put a firm surface and 1 or 2 towers on it. Or build a collar.

I have an upright keezer with 5 taps coming out the door. Although very functional, the beer it pours is excellent (thanks to HBT!), no, it won't win a beauty contest. Not something you'd want to put it in your living room or that nook in your $20k remodeled kitchen. ;)

Similarly to the upright freezer, you could use an older top-freezer fridge which would probably fit 4-6 ball lock kegs.
One of my brew friends has 2 or 3 of those, out of sight, serving 12 taps in his bar room on the other side of the wall. Cheap and very cheerful!

This is the style keezer that my wife and I want. We want it to replace our kitchen table.

upload_2020-3-31_14-26-27.png

I know nothing about carpentry so we're working with someone to build it. Only in the quoting phase right now so we'll see how it goes. I know it's not going to be pretty having someone build it but I want it done right and I don't trust myself to get it done right the first time, lol.

EDIT: Sorry, not trying to turn this thread into a keezer wishlist, lol.

This is the style keezer that my wife and I want. We want it to replace our kitchen table.

View attachment 673628

I know nothing about carpentry so we're working with someone to build it. Only in the quoting phase right now so we'll see how it goes. I know it's not going to be pretty having someone build it but I want it done right and I don't trust myself to get it done right the first time, lol.

Oh dang ! That's a thing of beauty :ghostly:
Looks like they used colored epoxy on the table top too !

View attachment 673628

That surely is a beautiful show piece for having a keezer in prime space.

3 notes:
Is the sitting height correct?
Does it offer enough leg room when seated at it?
In that light, when the chairs are pulled back, when seated, are the overhangs of the bar top long enough? They look short to me.
I'd definitely test those before committing.

Back