Kegerator.. Is this a score or a disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoatLocker

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. so it appears CL was my friend.. I managed to score a True TDD-3 from a recently closed bar for $350.. It has the service records from the Budweiser distributor for every other month cleaning service.. there is quite a bit of rust around the doors, but all the internals appear almost new and the 5 taps were all professionally installed.. oh and they also threw in the cool Bass keg cooler and the gooberish bud light sign.. it appears I need to repair the doors a bit because they arent sealing correctly and they are causing the compressor to run constantly.. I need some magnets for the left side door as it wont seal at the bottom. The major problem I see is it appears to be R-12 freon... and as I recall that is super expensive to replace when needed. Is this a deal and worth fixing up or am I in over my head.. seems to me I can just sand the bottom strip and put some POR on it and place a piece of diamond plate over it. Hoping to get the corny kegs and such soon to start brewing for this thing :ban: in the mean time Shipyard and Sea Dog will have to do :tank:

:edit: a reply is in the works with pics..

web.jpg

Need to see pics to know how good you did. R-12 can be expensive if you don't know someone, if you have a buddy or know someone who has a buddy work a deal.

would love to but waiting on moderator approval.. now Im having a bigger issue.. i cant figure out just what kind of regulator output I have.. doesnt have the regulator nut on it to attach to a typical CO2 bottle.. but i know its been running co2.. any thoughts?

well, does it actually need a recharge? If it was working when the stopped using it, i see no reason that it wont continue to work for many years to come

A picture of the back of the regulator how the fitting on the regulator would make things easier. Does your fitting on the regulator scrw in or is it permanent?

I think my refrigeration guy told me R12 is $150/lb and there are probably a couple lbs in that system. If you go to True's website: http://www.truemfg.com/Warranty_en.aspx?language_id=1&event_id=401&from=food
you can input the serial and it will tell you how old the unit is. You always inherit problems with used refrigeration. But its no big deal if you are prepared to deal with them. Keep in mind if the compressor goes out it will cost $1000 to fix it.
The magnets you speak of are in the seal. You can contact Case Parts: http://www.caseparts.com/aboutus.asp
with model and serial and they should be able to get you replacements.

Thank you to everyone for all the useful help!! Im hoping I dont regret this score down the road, but so far so good.. Instead of swapping out the funky regulator fitting I chose to go to my LHBS and purchase a new regulator since I knew nothing about the one that was on there.. 60 bucks later and I have beer.. Now just having issues because I purchased a corny setup while I was there, but all five taps are running on the one regulator which seems strange to me.. there is no manifold so I guess there is no way to regulate pressure to each tap.. Gonna have to a get a separate tank and regulator for the corny kegs I guess?? Thanks again guys and I appreciate the link for the magnets.. Crossing my fingers about the compressor.. its pretty old, but she is running GREAT! Here is one final picture.. finished polishing the turd this morning.. sanded as much rust off as I could and just sprayed it with a rust converter (i know it doesnt work, but...) then I spent 3 hours cleaning the inside and the bar gunk off the outside..

web.jpg

If you want to serve the kegs at different pressures, you can do so from one tank by using secondary regulators. For five kegs, you could use four secondaries connected serially, from highest to lowest pressure, starting from the primary regulator. Or you could get five and connect a keg to each, or save a few bucks and get some number in between.

Back